Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many days are OK.

Options
  • 12-10-2014 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

HI
    Just a quick query. I have a medical issue and try my best not to let it affect my work. I have been in a job for nearly a year and haven't missed any days besides holidays. I ve been out the last few days and have a cert but I don't feel im ready to go back yet. Is it bad to miss 5 days in a year. I am nearly 100% that it wont happen for the rest of the term year. If I go back tomorrow and end up making myself worse , and need to take more days off would that be worse?
    any ideas on how many sick days a year are the "the norm" or acceptable would be greatly appreciated .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

There's no such thing as "the norm". Is there a culture of people taking sick leave in your company? Does it cost the employer anything, in terms of sick pay or providing cover?

If your employer is pretty easy going particularly in a genuine case such as yours, I wouldn't worry about taking a full week. It usually looks a lot worse when there's a pattern to your sick leave (e.g. one Monday a month)

Make sure you phone your employer daily to let them know how you're getting on, and make yourself available (contact number/email) to reasonably respond to queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

if you haven't been out sick much before then your employer will know that you are genuine and I wouldn't worry about it, you have a cert to cover you so you are okay. Generally employers know who are the honest ones and who the pisstakers are - altho in saying that, there is a woman in my job and she has had 28 sick days so far this year!! & nothing has been done about it, its a running joke among some people in here, that she has more sick days per year than holidays!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I know in my company ,anyone over 3 days a year is looked at for on going trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Many companies use the Bradford Factor to monitor sick leave.

In general, multiple absences are more difficult to manage than one extended absence. Arranging cover, delegating tasks, etc. Only you know your work and health situation, but I would recommend getting fully well before returning and risking a relapse.

As a manager I would prefer one absence with the employee returning 100% fit to full duties, this is much easier to manager than the employee returning to restricted duties with a risk of a relapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi thanks for all the replies.
    Im back anyway and waited until I was fully ready. Unfortunately as it crossed over a weekend (we don't work weekends) these days are included also so I am now down as having missed my sick day s plus 2 weekend days as they included them . Nothing I can do about it now anyway . I haven't been sick before and they know it is genuine . Just disappointed I have 2 extra days added. Thanks for the replies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement