Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Strange NCT test procedure.

Options
  • 12-10-2014 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

I posted this in the damcam thread but weary of dragging the tread off topic so posting here in its own thread.

Something a little bit different. NCT this morning and while in the waiting room after the fella took my keys I heard my car start seen it pass the door, then I heard tyre squeal.

Look at what my dashcam shows! :eek: It sounds like he wigs the handbrake the second time, in a 4WD car he wigged the handbrake is this normal procedure, tested 4WD cars a good few times never seen this being done.

Surely this is horrendously sore on the drivetrain???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I'm not in a position to watch the video, so this somewhat based on conjecture.

AFAIK, a car with permanent 4x4 can't be run on the brake test rig as it could cause damage to the transmission. The NCT manual in this case advises the tester to take the car on a road test to determine the condition of the brakes.

Whether what they did with your car was appropriate for this test or not is open to debate by the sounds of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi op they do that and car well able to handle it.

It is similar to emergency brake test.

They are checking the brakes so it needs to be done as said it can't be tested on rolling road as 4x4 permanently on.

They test to a high standard and maybe you may need the brakes some day so good to know they stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

So if the car ends up in the porta-cabin, its a fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So if the car ends up in the porta-cabin, its a fail.

Yes. I would have thought the road test to check breaking would be somewhat more scientific than what we have seen here.
    That test would have done little to establish if there was a severe imbalance in the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I thought they do this if the car has an LSD as the rollers can damage it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Not really seeing an issue in a quick glance.
    Is it the stop he makes as he comes around the corner? I was expecting something extreme with the mention of handbrake.

There's much worse they can do to a 4wd and I've seen it done. No matter how obviously probable it is that your car is 4wd, always put a postit on the steering wheel "no roller tests please. 4wd". Because that one time you don't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes. I would have thought the road test to check breaking would be somewhat more scientific than what we have seen here.
    That test would have done little to establish if there was a severe imbalance in the system.

I dont think imbalance is checked. I'll have a look at my own recent test sheet. Decelerometer box = service brake effort, parking brake effort IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Google 'decelerometer'. There's one sitting in the passenger footwell when he does those braking manouvers. Each time he brakes, there's a pause. That's him reading the result on the decelerometer. It needs to be within particular limits based on the GVW of the vehicle being tested. It's basically measuring G-force to determine if the braking force is enough to stop the vehicles momentum. Simple, old school and it works. Won't indicate imbalance, but the tester will be watching for that as he steps on the pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

that seems ok,if i were checking brakes i would be giving it more than he did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

Chimaera wrote: »
    I'm not in a position to watch the video, so this somewhat based on conjecture.

AFAIK, a car with permanent 4x4 can't be run on the brake test rig as it could cause damage to the transmission. The NCT manual in this case advises the tester to take the car on a road test to determine the condition of the brakes.

Whether what they did with your car was appropriate for this test or not is open to debate by the sounds of it though.

Agreed. In NCT test 21 (Service Brake Performance), one of the notes states the following:
    "The use of a roller brake tester is not appropriate on hybrid vehicles or on vehicles with a permanently engaged four wheel drive, limited slip differential or belt driven transmission."

More information:
    http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/NCT%20Manual%20July%202014.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Agreed. In NCT test 21 (Service Brake Performance), one of the notes states the following:
    "The use of a roller brake tester is not appropriate on hybrid vehicles or on vehicles with a permanently engaged four wheel drive, limited slip differential or belt driven transmission."

More information:
    http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/NCT%20Manual%20July%202014.pdf

So that's both emissions test and brake roller test that can't be done for hybrids.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

IP freely wrote: »
    I posted this in the damcam thread but weary of dragging the tread off topic so posting here in its own thread.

Something a little bit different. NCT this morning and while in the waiting room after the fella took my keys I heard my car start seen it pass the door, then I heard tyre squeal.

Look at what my dashcam shows! :eek: It sounds like he wigs the handbrake the second time, in a 4WD car he wigged the handbrake is this normal procedure, tested 4WD cars a good few times never seen this being done.

Surely this is horrendously sore on the drivetrain???

I thought they do this if the car has an LSD as the rollers can damage it.

Pretty much same they do with my Astra because of the LSD, not sure of using handbrake while moving is what I want to see though.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

I don't they put think put certain cars up on the rollers if you ask them or don't, Think cars like 4wd skylines, Evo's, Subaru's and a few other cars are exempt, Correct me if i'm wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I remember somebody on the classic car forum had a old Citroen that had the handbrake the worked on the front wheels and they got in all sorts of troubles trying to explain that one to the NCT bloke.

My '03 Cit has the front handbrake also. The first time I brought it to be tested I think I got the apprentice, he went for a rear handbrake test and looked very confused when the reading was presumably zero. He called over a colleague, who then called over everyone else on the floor to have a good laugh at my guy's expense. He still passed it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

I've seen cctv of a test center doing this and either the brakes failed or the guy messd up, but he stuck the jeep into the metal fence.

We had a right laugh at him the following morning.

Would have been fair possession of it was my vechile though.

Advertisement