Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science at UCD? or Computer Systems UL?

Options
  • 11-10-2014 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm currently doing my leaving cert and am interested in going into software engineering when I finish school. I am stuck between Computer Science UCD and Computer Systems UL. Could any current students fill me in on what these courses are like? And which they would recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

Heres a thread I was involved in a while back, I'm since finished my degree and am currently pursuing a masters in computer science in UCD, this post should clear a few things up and if it doesn't ask away and I'll do my best to answer. Obviously I haven't been to UL so I can't comment on them, but as far as UCD goes I would highly recommend them.

Heres a thread I was involved in a while back, I'm since finished my degree and am currently pursuing a masters in computer science in UCD, this post should clear a few things up and if it doesn't ask away and I'll do my best to answer. Obviously I haven't been to UL so I can't comment on them, but as far as UCD goes I would highly recommend them. Www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90921266

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Everyone is entitled to their opinion so here mine.

Firstly are you aware the UCD has gone down significantly in rankings recently ?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1001/649378-times-university-rankings/

This come as absolutely no surprise to me as I studied CS at UCD from 2009.

Firstly, I am not getting into the content per se I want to keep this short. CS UCD will just give you tons and tons of work to do. On top of that you will be constantly revising for tests throughout the year ( continuous assessment ).You will have to spend a huge amount on time on campus limiting your time to get your homework/coursework/revision done. Schedules tutorials are usually noting of the kind, it's just allotted time to get your coursework done and you MUST attend. It's a terrible environment to work in when you trying to get graded work done.

In general you will be given the impression that the powers that be are 'working hard behind the scenes' to deliver a better course by doing stuff like giving you feedback forms. This is all an illusion. Just think about why your course isn't s**t hot from the moment it started. You will be made to feel you should be willing and fervently eager to do more and more and more such is you love of CS. Someone will give you the internship (work for free ) spiel one of the days.

The CS school is one of the most dour places you'll ever dwell in and when you finish your course ,if you ever do, you will look back at the place as if you had done a stint in prison.

The lectures there generally do noting except drink cups of tea/coffee and spend time researching stuff in there offices that are of interest to them and their personal careers.

I will stop there because I don't want to relive that time of my life.

If I can help stop one person from attending UCD CS then that would make my day, which is what's inspired me to write this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Don't agree with any of that tbh

I'm with bigred here on this, that post is absolute BS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

Thanks a million, I'm going to take both posts into account here when deciding as it's not the first negative report I have heard about CS in UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 3 henger

Hi,

Oktplz, just wondering if you chose Computer Systems in Ul? I'm concerned about the mathematical element to the course, even though honours maths isnt specified would it be an advantage? Would anyone recommend this course? Caught between business and computers. Any courses that do both? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

henger wrote: »
    Hi,

Oktplz, just wondering if you chose Computer Systems in Ul? I'm concerned about the mathematical element to the course, even though honours maths isnt specified would it be an advantage? Would anyone recommend this course? Caught between business and computers. Any courses that do both? Thanks

Still in leaving cert year m'dear, kind of stirring towards Engineering now though...

Advertisement