Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10k Help

Options
  • 11-10-2014 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Wondering if anyone could help on my 10k, I have been running lots of races over the last couple of months & 5k has been going well, I have moved from 17.45 down to a 17.01 (been running consistently around 17.30 so this may be more reflective).

I seem to be having difficulty converting to an equivalent 10k. I have managed 37.38 but I think I should be a good minute quicker than this!? I seem to really struggle to maintain my pace from 4 miles or so.

I currently run 6 times a week, one tempo, one interval, long run & 3 easy runs. Can anyone suggest a session to improve at 10k?

Thanks.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

How long are you running?
    What sort of Tempo are you running a week? What sort of pace do you run this at?
    What does your overall mileage look like?
    Has the training been consistent (outside of the results?
    What sort of intervals do you do (distance/sorts of paces)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PL1

ecoli wrote: »
    How long are you running?
    What sort of Tempo are you running a week? What sort of pace do you run this at?
    What does your overall mileage look like?
    Has the training been consistent (outside of the results?
    What sort of intervals do you do (distance/sorts of paces)?

Hi ecoli,

I've been running about 2.5 years.

Typically I do a four mile tempo at 6 min pace.

My overall mileage is prob 40-45 miles depending, training has been quite consistent other than I have been racing quite a bit so I have been working around this a bit.

On intervals I do everything from 10x400m to 5x1miles, 400m in about 75 secs with 60 recovery, miles in about 5.40 with 2 mins, I do 600m, 800m & 1000m etc also with equivalent type timings.

Cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

PL1 wrote: »
    Hi ecoli,

I've been running about 2.5 years.

Typically I do a four mile tempo at 6 min pace.

My overall mileage is prob 40-45 miles depending, training has been quite consistent other than I have been racing quite a bit so I have been working around this a bit.

On intervals I do everything from 10x400m to 5x1miles, 400m in about 75 secs with 60 recovery, miles in about 5.40 with 2 mins, I do 600m, 800m & 1000m etc also with equivalent type timings.

Cheers...

Looks like your training currently is very much geared towards 1500/5k style at the moment.

In terms of the 1 mile reps I would say that you are probably running these a little hard given the recovery and the number of reps you are doing.

Few changes which you could implement in order to establish more strength over the longer distances

- Increase mileage progressively to be able to add more quality

The next two points are meant as additions rather than replacements of current set up, to be added every 2-3 weeks to give your current training a bit of diversity

- Tempo - I would say that these are a little on the quick side probably scale back by about 5-10 sec per mile. Also you could alternate with a longer tempo run (6-8 miles @ roughly 6.20-6.30 pace) each week

- Reps. Include short rhythm running style sessions (short reps off very short recovery) something along the lines of 10-14 x 400m @ 82s-85s off 30-45 sec jog recovery is great for 5k-10k work.

The only other advice I would give would be that if you have been racing a good bit the last while take a small break from it and get the head down for 3-6 weeks of training just to let your body properly adapt to the race efforts as well as the training load

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PL1

Thanks for that ecoli, very useful I'll try all of that, hopefully will click for me after some more solid training weeks.😀

Advertisement