Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Zealand working holiday

• 11-10-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi guys, just a question about New Zealand working holidays. My fella and I are thinking on applying but he has a criminal record. What are New Zealand like to get in? He got refused a visa from canada. Gutted. In my eyes, the record isn't thaat bad. 2 drunken disorderly charges 1 assaulting an officer although no physical contact. "She thought he was going to" if anyone could shed a bit of light would be fantastic! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 wet sand

Applying for a NZ WHV is a simple process. It can be done online at a cost of around 100 euro and takes about 3 days to be granted. In the application process you are asked whether you have any previous convictions. You must declare these otherwise it is a criminal offence.

Irish legislation considers some convictions spent after a certain period of time which means you don't have to declare it. Whether this applies to NZ I am not sure. It is worth looking into.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Mod post: please remember that Boards cannot be involved in advocating breaking of laws or suggestion of ways around laws.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tauruz_ie

I believe it's the one thing they are concerned about entering New Zealand, this is what a usit rep told me. However Austrailia has little or no issue with criminal record.

tauruz_ie wrote: »
    I believe it's the one thing they are concerned about entering New Zealand, this is what a usit rep told me. However Austrailia has little or no issue with criminal record.

Why wouldn't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

wet sand wrote: »
    Irish legislation considers some convictions spent after a certain period of time which means you don't have to declare it. Whether this applies to NZ I am not sure. It is worth looking into.

I don't think it applies - whether a conviction is "spent" or not where it happened it irrelevant to whether you have to declare it elsewhere.

Don't even both making plans to visit Canada or the US, ever.

For NZ, declare it and see what happens. They may just say "no" or they may come back looking for details.

For longer term emigration, it depends on how long ago it was, and what type of sentence he got, I believe. I don't know if they both giving this sort of option for WHV people, for whom by defintition the conviction is unlikely to be that long ago.

And I totally don't believe that Australia don't care about criminal records: I would say that comment was made in jest. If anything I'd expect them to be tougher than NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

For Oz, if you have served time collectively adding up to a period of 12mths or more, it is looked at very negatively and although they may consider letting you in for a special visit, this is only likely if there has been a long period of good behaviour (3/5 years minimum). Has your other half spent time in prison, or did he receive community service, a caution or a fine?

For NZ, convictions are again looked at negatively along the same lines, the difference being 'spent convictions'; if it is a less serious conviction that NZ would normally wipe after seven years ('clean slate'), then it is more likely but certainly not definite that you may receive a work visa.

I would strongly recommend that you are completely honest about convictions as lying will ensure you are blocked, and possibly indefinitely if not red flagged for life. It's just not worth the risk of being caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bambgirl92

He will need to get a police cert from his local Garda Station and give details of his court case, such as the court where the trail was heard and dates and the out come of it. The visa crowd should let you know the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Clazicolleen

ok, anyone who may have been following this thread or just would like to know the outcome, the other half got accepted! woohoo!

what we went through was very quick compared to canada, canada was a bit of a nightmare, (5months waiting) any who, we had to declare that he got refused from canada and had a record. they got back within 2 days not asking about his record but why canada refused him. long story short, we were led back to the record, officials let us explain our side of the story (something canada hadn't done) and waa laa.... new zealand is now on the horizon! yippee!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Yay, glad being honest was the right path for you - hope both have a great time

• Advertisement
Advertisement