Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best immersion water heater?

Options
  • 11-10-2014 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi, I have a "Horstmann Economy 7 quartz timer" in my apartment that heats the water overnight. It seems to have stopped working though as the water hasn't been heated in a couple of days. I haven't seen it but I've spoken to the tenants and told them to try turning on the boost switch, but they said nothing they've tried has worked.

It's around 20 years old so I'm thinking maybe it needs to be replaced. If so does anyone have an opinion on the best brand or type to replace it with, and where would be the best place to buy it?

2014-06-28154627.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Have you had the heating elements and the thermostats checked to ensure that they are in good order first.

Regarding the time-clock, if it is the problem, I would recommend the Grasslin Eco Save time clock. More user friendly and flexible than the Horstman.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Some_randomer

Hi again, so there's now a new timer in place - had to go with a Horstmann again (pic attached) as the Grasslin would have taken a couple of days to order. Anyway I had a guy fit it but there's another issue - the water will only heat with the boost switch and isn't being heated overnight.

The guy that fitted it went back to look at it and said it's a problem on the boiler / tank and that he can't fix it (I'm out of the country so haven't been talking to him and I'm relying on texts and emails from someone even more clueless than me).

So maybe it's an element or thermostat problem as @KFlyer suggested? I know absolutely nothing about these things so if anyone can let me know the best thing to do I'd be grateful:

- Do I need a new element and / or thermostat if they're broken?
    - If so is this a big job - do I need a plumber or electrician?
    - Can someone recommend a plumber / electrician who knows about these things?

TIA

NewWaterHeater.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If the water heats on the boost then the element is ok & the thermostat is ok. If they were at fault then it wouldn't heat on boost.

My suggestion is to get a proper electrician to rewire it correctly cos you either have a faulty timer (not very likely) or the installer doesn't know how to wire it in (much more likely as he tried to blame the element etc when anyone should know it can't be these. I know & I haven't even seen it).

My advice is always the same on these issues. Get a qualified tradesman, in this case an electrician, make sure they are insured & get a VAT receipt.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If the water heats on the boost then the element is ok & the thermostat is ok. If they were at fault then it wouldn't heat on boost.

Hi thanks for the reply. I remember reading somewhere that these boilers have 2 elements / heater thingies - one for the main tank and one that heats a smaller amount of water for the booster. Would this be right or am I talking complete nonsense? If it's true then it would explain the water only being heated on the boost switch.

If it has 2 separate elements they'll be at the side of the cylinder. Even if only one is still working it still should heat up using the timer & the boost. The only difference with only one element is it wont heat as much water.

Its either the timer itself or its not wired correctly. It can't be anything else. If he was an electrician he would have tested the boost & timer with a multi meter to make sore they are both working. He doesn't seem to have done this(possibly doesn't know how to do this). This leads me to think its his fault & not the timer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Hi thanks for the reply. I remember reading somewhere that these boilers have 2 elements / heater thingies - one for the main tank and one that heats a smaller amount of water for the booster. Would this be right or am I talking complete nonsense? If it's true then it would explain the water only being heated on the boost switch.

You are on the right track.
    Usually with the Horstmann time clock you do have 2 separate water heating elements. Both of them are the same size in length (typically 11 inches). One will be located close to the bottom of the hot water cylinder and the other will be located approximately a third of the way down from the top of the cylinder.
    Both of these elements are independently connected to the time clock on separate circuits.
    The lower element will be connected to the over night low rate part of the clock, heating all of the water in the tank, while the upper element is only connected to the boost switch and will only heat approx a third of the water volume on demand.
    From your description it is most likely that the lower element is burnt out and needs to be replaced. This will involve draining out the tank completely to get the element out, which most electricians that I know are reluctant to do.
    It is usually a good idea to change both elements while the tank is drained down as both elements are the same age and most of the trouble involved is getting the tank empty without causing a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭creedp

K.Flyer wrote: »
    You are on the right track.
    Usually with the Horstmann time clock you do have 2 separate water heating elements. Both of them are the same size in length (typically 11 inches). One will be located close to the bottom of the hot water cylinder and the other will be located approximately a third of the way down from the top of the cylinder.
    Both of these elements are independently connected to the time clock on separate circuits.
    The lower element will be connected to the over night low rate part of the clock, heating all of the water in the tank, while the upper element is only connected to the boost switch and will only heat approx a third of the water volume on demand.
    From your description it is most likely that the lower element is burnt out and needs to be replaced. This will involve draining out the tank completely to get the element out, which most electricians that I know are reluctant to do.
    It is usually a good idea to change both elements while the tank is drained down as both elements are the same age and most of the trouble involved is getting the tank empty without causing a mess.

Had a similar problem lately where the immersion was tripping the RCB at nightime but the boost was working fine duringthe day. Turned out tobe the heating element which needed replacing.

I still find it hard to believe that the electrictrican wired in the new timer and didn't test that the boost & timer were working properly before he left. If he did this (& he should have) he then could have tested the elements with a multi meter. An electrician is supposed to check everything before he leaves.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I still find it hard to believe that the electrictrican wired in the new timer and didn't test that the boost & timer were working properly before he left. If he did this (& he should have) he then could have tested the elements with a multi meter. An electrician is supposed to check everything before he leaves.

The guy that done it is a plumber. Apparently he spoke to an electrician before doing it but I'm relying on 2nd hand info as I'm out of the country.

So it begs the question do I need an electrician or plumber to replace the elements if that's what the problem is?

The guy that done it is a plumber. Apparently he spoke to an electrician before doing it but I'm relying on 2nd hand info as I'm out of the country.

So it begs the question do I need an electrician or plumber to replace the elements if that's what the problem is?

Should have been an electrician to wire in the timer but probably better with a plumber to do the element. I would change both while you are at it. It'll cost an extra €20 or €30 but worth it while the tank is drained.

I still don't get if he was a plumber why hasn't he changed the element himself by now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement