Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Knocking noise over speedbumps

Options
  • 11-10-2014 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a knocking noise coming from the front left of the car when I go over speedbumps.

The most obvious thing I can see is the strut mount rubber is ripped and the strut is sticking out more than on the right hand side.

Would a bad strut mount cause knocking? It's happening now every time I go over a bump or a pot hole.

1999 Yaris 1.0

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Take a pic of what you are calling the strut mount as I think you might be referring to the dirt cover and this would have no bearing on the noise. I wouldn't think you'll actually be able to see much if any of the shock mount though it could cause the noise.

My bet would be on the Anti Roll Bar bushings or droplinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

OK, my apologies, you were absolutely right. You will need a new "shock-top" or "shock mount". You may be able to get it from a motor factor.

From memory there's a small spacer in these which you'll use again, just make sure it goes back with the new one. You'll need to remove the shock and compress the spring. Just so you know.

Cheers.

I'm just hoping this is what's causing the knock. I looked around the suspension yesterday and everything else seems good.

Alright so today I was finally able to recreate this knocking sound.

I tried to push the car down, jack the hub up and down when the car was on stands and I couldn't get the noise.

Final attempt was to try lift the car with my hands by the wheel arch, I heard the noise and I knew it's the strut mount when I put my ear closer to it.

Any ideas where I could rent a spring compressor or get one cheap? (Limited budget as the car is worth peanuts and I probably won't need it again).

• Advertisement

These should work fine and they're not too expensive. You might even get a pair cheaper when you go to the motor factor for the shock top.

Just be careful when you're using them. They're dangerous if you don't know what you're at!!

You could get the strut out and bring it somewhere just to get the top replaced for you. Might be just as cheap!

Thanks a lot for your help, I will go to order the upper strut mount tomorrow and will ask them. Cheers.

Finally got round to getting this sorted.

Garage quoted me 120 euro for replacing the strut mount.

I spent 50 on the strut mount, 50 on a good small set of sockets and another 50 on some coil spring compressors. I was thinking of using ratchet straps for the spring but couldn't be bothered with the hassle and paid up.

So, it cost me 30 euro more and I had to waste my time, however now I have some decent sockets for other jobs I can do in the future. NCT guy told me the rear shock is starting to leak last May, the tools will come in handy :)

Knocking noise is gone now, thankfully. I wasn't 100% sure if was the strut mount as the rubbers on one of the drop links looked in a quite poor condition but it was the strut mount making noise.

Thanks for your help Avens1s :)

Advertisement