Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alert: Dog owners & Lugnaquilla

Options
  • 11-10-2014 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭

Just a warning for dog owners: a friend of mine had her dog shot last weekend on Lugnaquilla, the dog had run off and was bothering sheep. Either don't bring your dog or keep it on a lead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

This will apply anywhere, not just Lug. Any dogs worrying sheep are liable to be shot. Good advice Hugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Its perfectly legal to shoot any dog in the act of worrying stock.All dogs should be on a lead while hill walking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Its perfectly legal to shoot any dog in the act of worrying stock.All dogs should be on a lead while hill walking.

I would question whether any non working dog should be brought out on any hillfarm without the express permission of the land owner. To be clear - I dislike it when I see people out on the hills with dogs.

Whether we like it or not in this country we walk at the sufferance of land owners.

In my view, people who bring their pets on to working farms put our collective ability to enjoy the countryside at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

I would question whether any non working dog should be brought out on any hillfarm without the express permission of the land owner. To be clear - I dislike it when I see people out on the hills with dogs.

Whether we like it or not in this country we walk at the sufferance of land owners.

In my view, people who bring their pets on to working farms put our collective ability to enjoy the countryside at risk.

Im a dog owner and Im a deer hunter so im out on the hills a fair bit.some land owners dont want dogs on their land(hills) even if they are on a lead, and as you say we are only on their land because they let us not because we have a right as some people think to free roam.Loose dogs from hill walkers caused alot of problems in glenmalure a few years back if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hiromoto

Saw a guy bringing what looked like two small white wolves out towards Coumshingaun a while ago, definitely not on. As a dog owner myself I say leave them at home if you're heading to the hills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you go to Lug via the zigzags as you go through the agreed access lane between the farm houses they have a sign stating categorically that any dogs seen on their land will be shot. They've had enough livestock lost to uncontrolled dogs that they are taking a harsh line. It's either that or they remove access to that route - I know which I think is preferable.

Despite all the signs, the legislation and the sheer common sense - don't take your dog on anothers farm without permission - it's just amazing how selfish some people are. Their little darling deserves an exemption because he's not like the other bold dogs. Maybe they should be made pay for the ammo and the farmers time too and that would help them wise up.

Fully agree with galwaycyclist, it jeopardises the grace we all get from those who allow us cross their farms.

Advertisement