Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia retired!

Options
  • 11-10-2014 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭

Breaking News..............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Flashdean

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Flashdean wrote: »
    link?

Channel 4 just spoke to farrier at Ballydoyle live and a few lads at Coolmore. Official and confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Was wondering how long it'd be before someone suggested it was a made up injury. Why would they do that they had the QEII seemingly at his mercy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Was hoping him running would make Free Eagle a bigger price next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Coolmore sure are good at making money, but they sure don't inspire..If they had Frankle he would probably would have not had a 4 year old season...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Called it, lol. They can charge what they like for him at stud but to say it was an underwhelming career would be an understatement, given the hype.

Coolmore sure are good at making money, but they sure don't inspire..If they had Frankle he would probably would have not had a 4 year old season...

No because they would have already ran Frankel at 10 furlongs and 12 at 3.

Hardly wrapped Camelot in cotton wool going for the Triple Crown. Left Montjeu and High chap and Hurricane Run in training at four. Montjeu the best ever son of Sadlers Wells and Hurricane Run the best son Montjeu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Called it, lol. They can charge what they like for him at stud but to say it was an underwhelming career would be an understatement, given the hype.

You having a laugh man??

Haha he was bred for the Derby in which he hosed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Itziger wrote: »
    You having a laugh man??
    His career was underwhelming though. For a horse that Aidan O'Brien described as THE best he's ever had, he's fallen very short of the mark set by likes of Sea The Stars.

His career was underwhelming though. For a horse that Aidan O'Brien described as THE best he's ever had, he's fallen very short of the mark set by likes of Sea The Stars.

Yeah but that's Sea the Stars. Probably only behind Hawk Wing, High Chap and maybe Giants Causeway in terms of Aidan's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I wish Coolmore had some of the expertise in this thread, that way they might actually be respected as one of the most successful racing operations of our time.

Pity we won't see him at Ascot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Itziger wrote: »
    You having a laugh man??

Has to be.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Haha he was bred for the Derby in which he hosed up.

Simplistic logic that. He beat one horse of quality in his Derby and hardly 'hosed up'. He was beaten 3 times in 8 runs, avoided the Arc when getting perfect conditions and now he's finished. Hardly the stuff of "the best we've ever had" fulfilling his potential eh?

Don't think you can say he wouldn't have been competitive in Paris jim. He's better than Flintshire and look at the race Kingston Hill won he he held comfortably

Don't think you can say he wouldn't have been competitive in Paris jim. He's better than Flintshire and look at the race Kingston Hill won he he held comfortably

He didn't go though, that's my point. Underwhelming. If you think you've got a potential great on your hands, then you have to back up the talk, be brave and campaign him so, ala John Ox. Connections did not do so IMO.

Simplistic logic that. He beat one horse of quality in his Derby and hardly 'hosed up'. He was beaten 3 times in 8 runs, avoided the Arc when getting perfect conditions and now he's finished. Hardly the stuff of "the best we've ever had" fulfilling his potential eh?

He comfortably held Kingston Hill who finished 4th in the Arc.

It's fair to say on form Australia would have been bang their in the Arc. It's a pity he didn't go that's the owners or trainers fault.

All great horses get beat Treve lost 3 times in 9 races.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Some B** that is , in fairness to coolmore they run their horses in all the big races, often run them at 4 and in generally are better at taking on all comers than most of the other big trainers.

aidankkk wrote: »
    Some B** that is , in fairness to coolmore they run their horses in all the big races, often run them at 4 and in generally are better at taking on all comers than most of the other big trainers.

Yes, you're correct, they do, usually. Each case is different though and people are allowed question why he did not run in Arc, given conditions. Can you understand that?

• Advertisement

Yes, you're correct, they do, usually. Each case is different though and people are allowed question why he did not run in Arc, given conditions. Can you understand that?

Id say he didn't run in the Arc because he was going for Ascot, and the Arc is a bit of a lottery in term of draw ground etc. As great a race as the Arc is , its outrageous the amount of luck required, and i wouldn't blame then for taking the easier Group 1 option (not that i would have favored Cirrus anyway..)

Id say he didn't run in the Arc because he was going for Ascot, and the Arc is a bit of a lottery in term of draw ground etc. As great a race as the Arc is , its outrageous the amount of luck required, and i wouldn't blame then for taking the easier Group 1 option (not that i would have favored Cirrus anyway..)

After the defeat to The Grey Gatsby, the Arc would have been the perfect platform to restore the horses reputation as a world beater. You're right about the race being tough but that's why it's the ultimate test. Horses like STS and Treve, last year, have had to defy poor positions, show a turn of foot and stay. Given the pace which AOB and JOB constantly mentioned of the Derby winner, a good ground Arc would have been the perfect for him. Even from the talk and betting over the last week, it looks like they were planning on avoiding Free Eagle and Cirrus for the QEII (Welds had been cut to antepost fav). Not the campaigning of a superstar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

I'd take the injury as genuine but not too unwelcome from Coolmore's point of view. He was a very good horse, but not a great one thanks to Joseph's weight and ride at Leopardstown and Coolmore's fear of racing him again at 12f after his Derby wins.

He was on the edge of a very high rating, but he lacked the electric turn of foot that the greats show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

So treve drawn in the car park and then in the inside had an outrageous amout of luck in winning both doing handstands?

So treve drawn in the car park and then in the inside had an outrageous amout of luck in winning both doing handstands?

No Treve is a world beater as she proved, and i selected for the race, I'm not really saying Australia is an amazing horse or anything , i just don't like the whole moaning about Coolmore retiring horses in fear or anything, because their record proves otherwise.

I'm old enough to have watched all the other Greats trained by the previous trainer VOB, and there was far more running for cover an shipping off horses to stud then than has been the case since AOB took over.. Dont get me wrong he was a great trainer obviously but it was frustrating them hardly ever racing at 4 or retiring after the derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

I said two months ago on another thread that the arc would be avoided and if anything decent turned up in the English champion stakes then he would not be there also. He won two poor derbys and a run of the mill champion stakes in leopardstown. Not a true champion. Same as kingman. Flat track bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Good horse, showed speed to place in a decent 2000 guineas and won the race he was bred to win. One of AOB's better horses for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The injury is genuine in fairness, they showed pics on Morning Line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

5th fastest Epsom Derby time (13th fastest in all English Derbys).
    Retired after an injury that was not career ending.
    A better than average Epsom Derby winner, but not a proven great.

Advertisement