Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do birds reject my grub?

Options
  • 11-10-2014 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

Story is I do leave out some healthy brown bread out my back yard every morning for the neighbouring birds(swarms of them of all types from dastardly seagulls to crows to loveable families of robins\other tiny birds around) and yet most days they never eat what I leave out. If I go the the park and throw the food at the birds, they gollop it all up!!

Why do my local flying birds turn their beaks up at my generosity?

Are they overfed or something?!:confused:(i don't have any lovely cats either to deter them :() I do make sure that the grub is small enough for their beaks so why do my flying neighbours not like me?!:confused:

Comments

Probably watching the carbs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I read the heading and thought you were struggling to attract women and grub was nickname for your flute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

They are sick of bread and all that ****e, leave out some steak and chips, if they are vegetarian birds thin slices of ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I thought this was about your Mott not eating a crispy pancake or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You know your life is bad when you get rejected by wildlife.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Why do they sing so gay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Do you by any chance resemble a scarecrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

They only eat them brennans slimbos now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Do you by any chance resemble a scarecrow?

That's a straw man argument if ever I heard it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

You wouldn't be leaven the mould grow on the bread, would ya? Mouldy bread is fowl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

moxin wrote: »
    Story is I do leave out some healthy brown bread out my back yard every morning for the neighbouring birds(swarms of them of all types from dastardly seagulls to crows to loveable families of robins\other tiny birds around) and yet most days they never eat what I leave out. If I go the the park and throw the food at the birds, they gollop it all up!!

Why do my local flying birds turn their beaks up at my generosity?

Are they overfed or something?!:confused:(i don't have any lovely cats either to deter them :() I do make sure that the grub is small enough for their beaks so why do my flying neighbours not like me?!:confused:
    There's rats in your garden feeding on your bird grub that's what's keeping the birds away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Karl Stein wrote: »
    You wouldn't be leaven the mould grow on the bread, would ya? Mouldy bread is fowl.

Nah its fresh human eatable stuff.

Maybe they have particular tastes?! I dunno but maybe they are shopping around :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

They are on a gluten free diet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They do well on my road, the robins are like tennis balls. Very cute creatures robins, sometimes they look in the patio door and kind of hop up and down on their stick like feet. They're feisty little fellas and don't seem perturbed by the cat at all, he seems to tolerate their presence as well. It's hilarious to watch two of them fight over turf, they're a solitary bird and don't like anyone fcuking with them.

The worst yokes are starlings, very dirty birds, the fcukers started nesting in my roof this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

They do well on my road, the robins are like tennis balls. Very cute creatures robins, sometimes they look in the patio door and kind of hop up and down on their stick like feet. They're feisty little fellas and don't seem perturbed by the cat at all, he seems to tolerate their presence as well. It's hilarious to watch two of them fight over turf, they're a solitary bird and don't like anyone fcuking with them.

The worst yokes are starlings, very dirty birds, the fcukers started nesting in my roof this summer.

Robins are always very curious and not put off by the dog either... though i know the plight of starlings, there are usually 100's in the garden. They make skme noise when they all take off together :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Bread isn't great for them. We feed the birds every day, mostly bird seed and overripe fruit if we have it. They're very partial to porridge and left over mash potatoes. Maybe get a bird feeder and fill it with seed, it might attract the smaller birds as the weather gets colder.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

feed them rice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'd love to know what gobsh*te came up with the idea of feeding an animal a processed food.

Birds do not need bread. You are killing them. If you want to feed them get them seed that's suitable for the type of bird in your area. Get peanuts and fat balls for the winter. Just, jesus will ya stop feeding them bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I'd love to know what gobsh*te came up with the idea of feeding an animal a processed food.

Birds do not need bread. You are killing them. If you want to feed them get them seed that's suitable for the type of bird in your area. Get peanuts and fat balls for the winter. Just, jesus will ya stop feeding them bread.

Why not bread? They usually take it but not this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

moxin wrote: »
    Why not bread? They usually take it but not this time!

Bread is not a natural food for any animal. Besides that, animals have some things that they can eat and things they can't. Some things they shouldn't eat, they won't, and some they will.

If you give a dog chocolate, it will probably eat it, but the chances are you will do some damage to the dog.

I don't know why they've stopped eating it, maybe it's because of the cold weather and they know they need something with fat content. Whatever the reason stop fcuking feeding them bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

is it gluten free?

Advertisement