Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

24 yo male looking for advice on clearing acne scarring

• 10-10-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hey guys. I'm a 24 yr old guy and for most of my teens and my adult life I have had ance. Never overly bad but I've always had a few spots on my face. I seem to have finally gotten rid them after using Loreal Men Expert Black Charcoal wash for the past few months.

Thing is I'm now left with a lot of scars - mainly on my chin, cheeks and nose. What could I realistically get in a pharmacy today that will help reduce their appearance (not looking for makeup or concealer). I'm hoping for something that will remove scars completely or at least reduce their appearance.

Laser treatment would be ideal but for the time being its out of my price range.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

Try Aloe Vera gel and just apply it on face but make sure it's 100% pure. You can get it from Boots or Holland and Barretts. It helped me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You need something to Glycolic acid. Any Oil such as Bio-oils, will not penetrate the skin. Its powerful barrier and only a few chemicals can actually get through to the bottom active layers of skin. I have used Glycolic acid and it got rid of any of my light scars(they were just discolouring and not actually deep).

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

Ask doctor/dermatologist about retin A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I agree with hfallada, if it's at the point of scarring then it's too late for oils and moisturising. They only work at preventing scars because dry skin scars easier than moisturised skin.

Generally acid based things are likely to help, this can include glycolic acid also known as AHA's and salicylic acid also known as BHA's. They are also refered to as chemical exfoliators. The word acid sounds scary but they are generally quite mild, they work by removing dead skin cells and scars are essentially just built up dead skin. Don't expect overnight miracles with this route tho, it takes time and probably won't get rid of all scaring.

Since your acne has calmed down be wary of this route, its possible harsh chemicals like that can mess with your skins balance and trigger a new bout of acne. So whatever you try make sure to introduce it slowly in small areas of your skin and if you notice any adverse effects abandon it. If you go the chemical exfoliation route try a BHA first, they are much less likely to cause irritation than AHA's, but AHA's do a better job if your skin can tolerate it.

Advertisement