Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to chemistry syllabus [experiments]

Options
  • 10-10-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, [don't think I'll get any help but let's give it a shot anyway!]

Could someone please guide me on which experiments you don't have to do anymore in chemistry and are there any new ones?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Urethra Franklin

I can try and find the proper list in school on Monday but essentially any with Sodium Dichromate (production of ethanal/ethanoic acid) are gone. Added is the production of Benzoic Acid using Benzene Alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seriouslyfunny

Thanks a lot! Can you please? I'd really appreciate it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Moody_mona wrote: »

Is this of any use to you?

OP, this is the same circular we have in school. If you need any help with the experiments themselves (are you an external candidate?) PM me and I'll go through them with you, they're in the new edition of Chemistry Live as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's the organic ones that use sodium dichromate. (Ethanal/Ethanoic Acid) and the chemical equilibrium experiment that uses cobalt chloride that are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 seriouslyfunny

thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

Do we have to know non mandatory experiments?

dazzadazza wrote: »
    Do we have to know non mandatory experiments?

Well there's an equilibrium one which I think we have to look at a video of and know the theory, the one that proves an intermediate species. I think it's the Cobalt Chloride one? And I'm not sure if we still have to learn the Sodium Dichromate experiments or not, either way I doubt we'd be asked them.

Advertisement