Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat long trails near South Dublin?

Options
  • 10-10-2014 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've always liked running off the road - coillte trails, forest parks, Glendalough, whatever. But there's often a lot of up and down involved. That's all good, if that's what you're after. But right now I'd be happy to find 20km of trail that was relatively flat. The Green Road in Glendalough is great, but a bit short (really only about 5k each way, give or take). The zig-zag track from Djouce to Powerscourt is almost flattish, but it's dark and muddy and a little contrived. You do get 10 miles out of it, but it's not quite the easy running I had in mind. The round of Roundwood reservoir is 10k, give or take, and 2 laps makes 20. But some bits are slippy and tricky (otherwise pretty good, though).

Am I missing anywhere obvious? Within half an hour of my house in Deansgrange, by car?

Is Bray-Greystones-keep going south an option?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

brownian wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've always liked running off the road - coillte trails, forest parks, Glendalough, whatever. But there's often a lot of up and down involved. That's all good, if that's what you're after. But right now I'd be happy to find 20km of trail that was relatively flat. The Green Road in Glendalough is great, but a bit short (really only about 5k each way, give or take). The zig-zag track from Djouce to Powerscourt is almost flattish, but it's dark and muddy and a little contrived. You do get 10 miles out of it, but it's not quite the easy running I had in mind. The round of Roundwood reservoir is 10k, give or take, and 2 laps makes 20. But some bits are slippy and tricky (otherwise pretty good, though).

Am I missing anywhere obvious? Within half an hour of my house in Deansgrange, by car?

Is Bray-Greystones-keep going south an option?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Lord Meath's / Belmont if you stay on the lower (main) path on the Little Sugarloaf.
    You can run Bray to Wicklow 98% off road generally flat but with some varying surfaces.
    Avondale too far, 40mins ish away?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Plenty of routes in MARLAY that would give you a 6mile lap. Also bros Pearse and a lot of other clubs, use a route in the reservoir at bohernabreena and depending on where you start you will easily get 20k . Beautiful run and very quiet. Trail and some Tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Lord Meath's / Belmont if you stay on the lower (main) path on the Little Sugarloaf.
    You can run Bray to Wicklow 98% off road generally flat but with some varying surfaces.
    Avondale too far, 40mins ish away?

What's the access point for the little sugarloaf? I've often walked it from the Kilmac Side (up the steep rutty road from the roundabout at the flyover), but can't imagine a long flattish run from there?

Avondale would be fine (near my folks, too), but I think the River Walk is the longest part of it, and only a few ks...not to mention that it's not exactly flat, it being on a hillside and all.

Clara Vale is also really nice 10k, but again it's up and down a hillside.

Cheers, BB!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

PVincent wrote: »
    Plenty of routes in MARLAY that would give you a 6mile lap. Also bros Pearse and a lot of other clubs, use a route in the reservoir at bohernabreena and depending on where you start you will easily get 20k . Beautiful run and very quiet. Trail and some Tarmac.

Thanks, PV. Yes, I did a run there once, and you're right, it is very nice (and flat!). Must go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

along the coast between Wicklow and kilcoole/greystones. Wont get much flatter than that

• Advertisement
Advertisement