Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students urged to take a pee in the shower to save the planet. Would you follow suit?

Options
  • 10-10-2014 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Daily Edge/The Journal

WANT TO SAVE on the water charges? Perhaps you should urinate in the shower.

Students at a UK university are being urged to take their first pee of the day in the shower, as part of a campaign to reduce water wastage.

This will save the average 9-12 litres (figures vary) of water it takes to flush a standard toilet. And you’re washing yourself anyway, right?

The #GoWithTheFlow campaign at the University of East Anglia says that if all 15,000 students at the university wee in the shower once a day, it will save the equivalent of 26 Olympic swimming pools of water.

What would this mean in terms of water charges? Well, the expected charge to flush a standard toilet for a home using mains water and waste systems is €0.04.

So if a family of four each empty their bladders in the shower once a day, it could save €58.40 over the year – a decent chunk of the expected average annual bill of €238.

Reaction to the campaign – part of environmental initiative the nPower Future Leaders Challenge – has been mixed, says co-creator Chris Dobson. “People either seem to love it or hate it.”

Shower-pee-ers are being urged to share a photo of themselves with the hashtag #gowiththeflow to spread the word.

No thank you. Saving 4c a time is not that much of an incentive for me to not take a whizz in the bathtub I share with four others. If we all flushed the one toilet ONE time after everyone had a pee, that'd be different - same savings, more hygienic :pac:

Would you pee in the shower to save water/money? 16 votes

Sure thing!
    0% 0 votes
    Not a hope!
    100% 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Their all at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I was doing this before it was cool.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Pee washed away with soapy water, what's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Helps cure athletes foot as well.

Win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

It's when you have to toe your log down the drain is when things get a bit far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

They will be riding in them next to save wear and tear of the matress.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Helps cure athletes foot as well.

Win win.

Really. Never knew that. Golden showers win win for all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

They will be riding in them next to save wear and tear of the matress.

Ah sure, we don't have a mattress shortage or tax yet. Give it time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

No thank you. Saving 4c a time is not that much of an incentive for me to not take a whizz in the bathtub I share with four others. If we all flushed the one toilet ONE time after everyone had a pee, that'd be different - same savings, more hygienic :pac:
    How do you fit five people in a bath?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

By that logic you might as well pee in a swimming pool. ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

By that logic you might as well pee in a swimming pool. ugh

I always pee in yours, just so you know. Maybe i should have told you before you went swimming, ah well at least you dont have athletes foot anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

As usual, the sentiment is laudable but doesn't go far enough. The ammonia in urine is a precious resource, and people should be pissing in the sink, utilising the tremendous cleaning and disinfecting power of ammonia to do the dishes, as well as in swimming pools thus saving on the cost of chlorination. People should also be taking baths two-at-a-time, so one can cleanse the other with a refreshing Golden Shower. The idea of just pissing straight down the bath plug without any thought whatsoever is, frankly, laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

not a chance, they'll be shi**ing in the hand basin next!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I always pee in yours, just so you know. Maybe i should have told you before you went swimming, ah well at least you dont have athletes foot anymore.

Security have their orders. You're to be shot on sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Wait just a minute, people don't already piss in the shower?
    As soon as the water hits it's coming out of me like a yellow cable.
    I'm hardly alone in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

This got me thinking of avoiding water bill

Piss outside
    **** in other toilets
    Shower in work
    Eat out (no dishes)
    Hmmmm....seems doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

They could also encourage them to just piss in the sink, or go outside and pick a lamppost, really what the message should be is to try and minimize on the amount of toilet flushing you're doing. Maybe start thinking about building communal composting toilets.

Which makes me wonder, there are loads of larger buildings in europe that would collect the rainwater and use it to flush toilets (seen it in quite a few airports for example) will this start catching on here?

You could do it at home, seeing as most people already have water tanks in the attic should be an easy enough system to implement.

Advertisement