Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events or trails in Kilkenny

Options
  • 10-10-2014 7:35am

Heading there this weekend.

Any organised run on there, or maybe some trail or off road area - anything along the Nore maybe? Don't want to rely only on the hotel gym.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Heading there this weekend.

Any organised run on there, or maybe some trail or off road area - anything along the Nore maybe? Don't want to rely only on the hotel gym.

Thanks.

I seem to remember there is a Nore Valley Way somewhere around those parts. And the Barrow Way in which the Stonemad event takes place should be nearby unless I woke up stoned myself this morning...

http://www.irishtrails.ie/Trail/Nore-Valley-Walk---Inistioge-to-Thomastown-Section/25/

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

if you fancy a senic 5k the first Kilkenny parkrun is taking place in the grounds of Kilkenny Castle @ 09.30, promises to be a great event , if you havent already reg your details @ parkrun.ie and print your barcode and bring it with you

Thanks, but won't be there that early. Was thinking of taking the one in Macroom in on the drive up alright. Was also thinking of a jog up Slievenamon which I believe isn't too far from Kilkenny, but that Nore suggestion by Inigo looks good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

There's a trail that runs from town all the way to Bennettsbridge alongside the river, ~12km. There's a short section where you break out onto the road, but apart from that, once outside town it's all path by the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

lgk wrote: »
    There's a trail that runs from town all the way to Bennettsbridge alongside the river, ~12km. There's a short section where you break out onto the road, but apart from that, once outside town it's all path by the river.

And its pretty stunning to boot. Walked it with the kids about a month ago. Its on my places to run list for next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

I run this regularly and love it, there are styles to cross which seems to bother some people ..don't know why personally..
    you would prob need trail shoes if you have them..but its not too bad so ordinary shoes wouldn't be a problem..It can get a little mucky and slippy in some places - its the best trail that I have found close to the city for off road running - alternatively there is the Discovery park in castlecomer(about 18m from the city), there are some great forest trails out there too and if you use the complete boundary of the park and go through the forest its easy get a 3 - 4mile loop without crossing yourself and there are loads of different paths and trails, some standard forest path and some a bit rougher, after rain it can be pretty mucky so trail shoes are prob needed more here - you need a pound or two for parking but personally I don't mind - its a fab amenity - good coffee shop there too and play area and tree top walk for kids if you have any that need entertaining?

Great, thanks for that, will probably give that one a go. Have trail runners.

Is it 12km one way ie. a 24km run?

Saw the Castlecomer Park place too, that might be for the walk with the wife later. Planning the early run while she enjoys the lie in!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

try jenkinstown woods, out the castlecomer or freshford roads.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Though it's Tipperary I have to recommend Slievenamon, it's my new favourite trail running spot :)

It's about 20miles from kilkenny via the Clonmel Road, get off at turn for kilcash.

I'm actually doing a 16mile loop of it on Sunday morning.

It's just over 5miles run from kilcash to the summit, or you can follow the trail around.

I've the 16mile loop mapped out on http://runninginkilkenny.blogspot.ie

Thanks for suggestions.

In the end went from town centre down Maudlin Street and along the boardwalk by the Nore, then had to cross bridge as route shown on online maps of the trail, along the North of the river, all blocked, ran a couple of km along south bank of the river but got to some old distillery building, apparently, which kinda was a bit gated up and overgrown, so turned back and did a few laps of the castle park instead. Got 90 mins out of it anyway, lovely day, pity route through to Bennettsbridge blocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

you came across the new pedestrian bridge. you should have gone up to the ring road. out the sion road the then back on to the brennettsbridge train route ... pity it didnt work out... you were about 1km from the trail to bbridge..

you came across the new pedestrian bridge. you should have gone up to the ring road. out the sion road the then back on to the brennettsbridge train route ... pity it didnt work out... you were about 1km from the trail to bbridge..

No, that was blocked too, went out onto ring road bridge.

Advertisement