Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypothetically speaking....

Options
  • 09-10-2014 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

If a fella was looking to do a 50k ultra and a back-to-back about a month apart, middle of next year, what kind of training and recovery plans would he need to be thinking of? He wouldn't be looking to break any records' this hypothetical fella, just not to disgrace himself...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    If a fella was looking to do a 50k ultra and a back-to-back about a month apart, middle of next year, what kind of training and recovery plans would he need to be thinking of? He wouldn't be looking to break any records' this hypothetical fella, just not to disgrace himself...

Definitely running the first one slow. 50k training and marathon training are almost identical. Just an extended long of about 24 miles and a small extension on your mid-week long run.

On the recovery side, you should be looking at a reverse taper after the first race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The 50k will become part of the training for the back-to-back. As long as that hypothetical runner ensures that the recovery from the 50k takes precedence over any additional training, he/she should be perfectly ok.

A potential problem arises if our hypothetical runner carries an injury from the 50k, which could get aggravated in the back-to-back and could have long term repercussions, so be careful. Same if he's getting sick, only run the back-to-back if you feel healthy and recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Who is this mystery runner we are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Who is this mystery runner we are talking about?

Dogbert perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

What does
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    back-to-back
    mean - sorry for my ignorance in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

emerald007 wrote: »
    What does mean - sorry for my ignorance in advance.

2 marathons in 2 days. I think!

This is a great website (not that I'm endorsing this hypothetical craziness ;):D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

2 marathons in 2 days. I think!

This is a great website (not that I'm endorsing this hypothetical craziness ;):D)

Thanks K. Don't understand what you mean about craziness though - is it the taking of a night of sleep between two 4 hour periods of exertion?

Advertisement