Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone bring containers back from the US regularly

Options
  • 09-10-2014 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, ive found a motorcycle in the USA (houston, texas to be exact) that id like to bring home, its a race motorcycle therefore there is no title/logbook/v5 depending on where your from.

Ive been quoted 1500$ to do so, thats not an option, I can't get the bike for this price anywhere else in the world so it will have to be from the states.

it is 70 kg in weight yes 70kg not a typo, 200cm in length, 60cm width, 100cm in height so its not your average motorcycle, id be happy to pay to get some space in a container if someone here has one going over and back.

Any help, pointers, tips or advice is greatly appreciated, I cant find much on import duty, vrt, vat on a racing motorcycle that has never been road registered and never will be so any info on that is also appreciated.

regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Its the size, not the weight that is the problem.
    2 metres x 1 meter x 0.6 meter, is this in a box?
    €1180 is $1500 and tbh it's not a bad price to move a one off item like this across an ocean. What price do you expect to pay somebody to ship this?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 slaxbolts

Fuzzy wrote: »
    Its the size, not the weight that is the problem.
    2 metres x 1 meter x 0.6 meter, is this in a box?
    €1180 is $1500 and tbh it's not a bad price to move a one off item like this across an ocean. What price do you expect to pay somebody to ship this?

Id hope to have it crated up to prevent damage etc. It isnt but when looking at the likes of what it costs to get a container from the likes of China/Japan its not all that different, hence why im asking if anyone regularly brings back bikes or any products in a container that would let the bike ride shotgun for an agreed fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

slaxbolts wrote: »
    Hi, ive found a motorcycle in the USA (houston, texas to be exact) that id like to bring home, its a race motorcycle therefore there is no title/logbook/v5 depending on where your from.

Ive been quoted 1500$ to do so, thats not an option, I can't get the bike for this price anywhere else in the world so it will have to be from the states.

it is 70 kg in weight yes 70kg not a typo, 200cm in length, 60cm width, 100cm in height so its not your average motorcycle, id be happy to pay to get some space in a container if someone here has one going over and back.

Any help, pointers, tips or advice is greatly appreciated, I cant find much on import duty, vrt, vat on a racing motorcycle that has never been road registered and never will be so any info on that is also appreciated.

regards

Good morning,

in order to get a price for this for you would need the following information ;

1) Place of collection - including ZIP Code
    2) Place of delivery in Ireland
    3) Packed dimensions (i.e. once it is crated)
    4) Type and age of the bike (to be able to calculate the VRT, DUTY etc)
    5) Value

I think Us$ 1500 sounds like a lot of money and in my view there is significant room for improvement.

Trying to find somebody who happens to have a container coming from the same area as yourself is looking like a proverbial needle in a haystack. Also, it might create complications from a customs (export and import) point of view.

Cheers,
    Rudof289

Advertisement