Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Measuring Sea Temperature

Options
  • 09-10-2014 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I hope to swim year round at least once a week in the sea while working on the finer points in the pool. With the temperature dropping in the sea soon I would like an accurate measure of how much neoprene I should be wrapped in. I don't mind looking like a swimming ninja, just want to maintain consistent swims through the colder months.

Does anyone have an accurate way of measuring the sea temp on the day? Websites are great for an average but I was in on Tuesday and no way was that 15 degrees as one site said. Somewhere else said it was 8!

Would it be as simple as my daughter's bath temp hippo from Tesco?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I don't think the waters around Ireland ever get to 8 degrees, more like 10/11 at the coldest. I was swimming earlier this week at highrock and allegedly the temp was 15, honestly it felt the same as the summer temp with the wetsuit on but most likely 1-2 degrees cooler. The temps will plummet in November alright!

Regarding the amount of neoprene - if you wear a suit you don't have a choice or are you contemplating choosing between a selection of suits with different profiles? (lucky guy :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Tuesday felt a lot colder than previous weeks and I'd ideally like to prepare for this so I've no excuses. I'd invest in a neoprene swim cap, booties, even gloves if it got cold enough. Could be I just need to man up or I'm looking for an excuse to buy more stuff! Coming from a running background I'm used to bringing enough wardrobe with me to cope with any weather so look at swimming much the same way. The wetsuit has been fine so far but with temps dropping I want to have enough cover to stop me backing out.
    Not sure my feet have thawed out from Tuesday yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Hat booties and a heatseeker vest will work wonders. The vest especailly as it gives you an extra 2mm of neoprene on your core under the wetsuit.

How long were you out for RickyVilla?

Was in for about half an hour. I had been doing 45 - 60 minutes but was sick for a while so only getting back into it now.
    You've got to admire/fear the internet, I'm still a 'junior' member but there's an ad to the right of this box telling me I need a heatseeker vest from Millet's! Looks like I need a swimskin too

AKW - Having a bit of trouble finding anything other than Orca booties/vest/hat. Just wondering if there are other brands you can recommend? I'm in an Orca wetsuit so no issues with the brand but open to anything really

• Advertisement

Was in for about half an hour. I had been doing 45 - 60 minutes but was sick for a while so only getting back into it now.
    You've got to admire/fear the internet, I'm still a 'junior' member so can't post pictures but there's an ad to the right of this box telling me I need a heatseeker vest from Millet's! Looks like I need a swimskin too

AKW - Having a bit of trouble finding anything other than Orca booties/vest/hat. Just wondering if there are other brands you can recommend? I'm in an Orca wetsuit so no issues with the brand but open to anything really

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy gives the water temp every 30 minutes or so. They are rolling out a wider service in time.

That is genius Tabnabs, thanks for the link. Will save me dangling my bath temp hippo in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Most of the wetuit brands will do the accessories. I never bothered stocking anything other than Orca to be honest. More out of convenience than anything else.

Have a look at Zone3 as an option maybe.

That's a handy link Tabnabs - thanks.

I have a Speedo elite neoprene swim cap - never wear it though, just not doing long enough swims to warrant it so far but this will be first winter I try to stick to a plan for OW swimming weekly throughout the winter so it'll get use.

Looked at swim socks too but discounted them during the racing season as another item you have to remove in T1 but again, with winter closing it could get some use in training swims, likewise mitts.

Wiggle or SwimCycleRun has anything you need I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

MojoMaker wrote: »
    That's a handy link Tabnabs - thanks.

I have a Speedo elite neoprene swim cap - never wear it though, just not doing long enough swims to warrant it so far but this will be first winter I try to stick to a plan for OW swimming weekly throughout the winter so it'll get use.

Looked at swim socks too but discounted them during the racing season as another item you have to remove in T1 but again, with winter closing it could get some use in training swims, likewise mitts.

Wiggle or SwimCycleRun has anything you need I reckon.

You aren't allowed wear them anyway.

Just back from a half hour in Seapoint and feet are like blocks of ice. Think I'll be investing in booties sooner rather than later

zico10 wrote: »
    You aren't allowed wear them anyway.

I'd heard that too yet saw several in the other lad's events over the summer (non-TI), also saw them in use at Beast of the East, and in all 3 Bray Aquathons this summer, maybe it's the new drafting :)

Advertisement