Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human Euthanasia - a vet's view

Options
  • 08-10-2014 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/brittany-maynard-right-to-die-1713358-Oct2014/

the post below is in response to the article linked above, and completely mirrors my own view on the right to die with dignity

Alan Rossiter 2 hours ago #
    12 1001

This is a difficult post to make. I am not going to hide behind a pseudonym. I am somewhat fearful it may be misunderstood, misinterpreted, misconstrued and land me in some trouble but can I urge you all to hear me out this most difficult of moral and ethical dilemmas that we as humans face – the right to die in comfort and dignity.

I am a vet. Part of my job is to put animals to sleep.
    Many people say to me that it must be the most difficult part of my job.
    My honest answer back to them that whilst I would of course prefer never ‘have’ to put any animal to sleep what would be infinitely worse would be if I was not ‘able’ to put them to sleep, if I was prevented by law from doing so and for that reason I do not see this as the most difficult part of my job. The most difficult part is having to break the news that there is nothing else I can do for a pet to save their life, that nature has beaten us, that death is inevitable.

How sad it is that a pet reaches the end of its life, of course. But what a responsibility it is that once we know this that we ensure the last portion of their life is as good and as comfortable and pain free as possible, and that their passing on is as dignified and as pain free and as comfortable as possible.

So my job is to keep this poor pet as well and as comfortable as possible for as long as possible and then, when it is clear there is nothing else that can be done, that their quality of life has deteriorated beyond what is humanely acceptable, that we let them go with dignity and in comfort by in essence administering an anaesthetic overdose. It’s quick, painless, dignified. They fall into a deep sleep, they pass on with their last memory being a loving rub and kind gentle words.

How much sadder, and inhumane, and awful, and heartbreaking would it be if the only thing I could do for these poor animals who have only a very short period of ‘life’ – of painful horrible end-of-life, not able to move without pain, eat, drink, in constant discomfort and/or pain – was to send them home to die in that awful pain, discomfort, distress and to force their poor owners to watch them go through this.

I see my ability to put animals who are at the end of their lives to sleep as a great responsibility that must only be reserved for those pets who really are in their final days. It must never be abused. However I also see it as a great privilege, the ultimate kindness that allows me to ensure that they do not have to go through those final awful days or weeks, suffering for no reason. That they can leave this life with dignity. That they can pass on from their discomfort quickly, painlessly, peacefully and in the comfort and reassurance of a loving embrace from their owners in their final minutes.
    I watched my poor mother die an awful death from cancer. I sat beside her and watched her suffer and die and thank God saw I saw her afforded the comfort of morphine in her final days, with her passing hastened by the very same drug that relieved her intolerable terminal agony.

I heard her say to me that she wished she could have made the decision to die before she went through the final torture.
    That if she were a dog, if I were her vet, that this could have been afforded to her. She said this to me.
    She wished she was a dog, for dogs would not be made to suffer like she was. These were her words.

I hear it from many of my clients whose pet I have put to sleep that they wish that they could be afforded the same dignity and freedom from terminal suffering that their pet was.
    Human euthanasia is a massive moral and ethical dilemma. When is the right time? Could the person have had more time in this life? Could it be abused to cause the premature death of those who may have wished to live longer?

However my view is that there has to be a way for those of sound mind but a body which is causing them terrible suffering to be allowed to pass on before those final awful horrible painful days and weeks.
    I wish this poor girl the very best and I salute her courage. May she live her remaining days in peace and comfort. May she die in peace and dignity surrounded by those she loves. May her family be joyful for the life she had and always remember her for the wonderful person she was.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Thanks for linking that journal.ie piece. She looks like a lovely lady and I wish her and her husband the very best.

Thanks for linking the comment from the vet. I think it's brilliant. It sums up my views on euthanasia.

Euthanasia is something I'm in favour off and have been for some time. I think it should be made legal here in this country and allow a person to make up their own mind and wishes on it. If is made legal and it's not for you, that's fine, don't go for it. For some othrrs , there is a need for it. If I was to develop a serious illness like motor neuron disease as an example, I would want euthanasia and fairly quick too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

My dog was put down a couple of years ago and i said similar to our vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭DeadHand

My condolences, Alan. Excellent post.

I know dozens of vets personally and I believe most would share your view on the issue.

Sadly, it will be a long time before we as a nation produce lawmakers brave enough to address this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

There have been a lot of stories in the U.S. press lately about how the profit-driven health care 'system' further exacerbates end of life issues. This recent article about a woman who fought in order to allow her father to die at home is particularly horrifying. Frankly, I'd rather be hit and killed instantly by a bus than live in 1-2 years of painful purgatory like many seniors.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Enthusiasts for euthanasia,supportive of killing off the old so they aren't reminded of their own mortality. Off course, in this inclusive age it would be unfair not to include other groups. For instance the rights advocates in Holland ensure that even mental health is no barrier: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2779624/Number-mentally-ill-patients-killed-euthanasia-Holland-trebles-year-doctors-warn-assisted-suicide-control.html. Thus one way of reducing the health care costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

Manach wrote: »
    Enthusiasts for euthanasia,supportive of killing off the old so they aren't reminded of their own mortality. Off course, in this inclusive age it would be unfair not to include other groups. For instance the rights advocates in Holland ensure that even mental health is no barrier: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2779624/Number-mentally-ill-patients-killed-euthanasia-Holland-trebles-year-doctors-warn-assisted-suicide-control.html. Thus one way of reducing the health care costs.

Did you even read any of the articles posted above? This isn't about the ego of the living (or of the morality police). It's about people who are suffering terribly, and who want to die peacefully, but are unable to do so in most places. In Oregon, where the 'Brittney' story stems from, drugs are prescribed by doctors, only after a significant screening process, and they are self-administered (not everyone who gets a prescription chooses to use it). This is a completely different system than the Dutch model (and I'm very suspicious of pearl-clutching Daily Mail articles when it comes to these kinds of sensitive issues anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I think it should be made legal here in this country and allow a person to make up their own mind and wishes on it. If it is made legal and it's not for you, that's fine, don't go for it. For some others , there is a need for it. If I was to develop a serious illness like motor neuron disease as an example, I would want euthanasia and fairly quick too.

I agree.
    Make it legal, each to their own whether or not they approve.
    At least the option would be there for those of us in favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

That story broke my heart..29 is just too young :( But shes so brave, I hope I can be that brave when I face death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Enthusiasts for euthanasia,supportive of killing off the old so they aren't reminded of their own mortality.

Yeah, that's it...........

*slurps soup

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I completely agree with the vet, particularly with regard to the act of dying. Dying naturally is a terrible struggle. We don't want our pets to suffer but yet we can't make the same choice for ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What's beyond 'rolleyes'?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

I love a good euthanasia so I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Very sad news today to hear of Brittany Maynard's passing.

What a brave young woman to make such a difficult decision.

Her final words were beautiful and her passing was peaceful surrounded by loved ones.

If only we could all be afforded the same option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

She was very brave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Absolutely heartbreaking. It's very easy to go through life complaining about minor stuff. Certainly puts things into perspective.

Very nicely written piece by Alan. Being honest, this bit kind of floored me:
    They fall into a deep sleep, they pass on with their last memory being a loving rub and kind gentle words.

Advertisement