Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(re)Importation of my whiskey collection

Options
  • 08-10-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭

Good evening all.

My wife,children and I are planning to move to Ireland sometime in 2015,some things will be left behind,but certainly not my drinks cabinet and its contents.
    At the moment I have a Collection of about 80 unopened beer bottles and 25 opened Irish whiskies,all bar 3 of the whiskies were bought in Ireland.

The current envisioned route at the moment is Gothenburg-England-Ireland,so with all the border Controls (will be taking car on RoRo ferries)what procedures am I likely to encounter? Will Everything need to be declared,and if so,what duty is likely to be requested,and by whom?

There is quite possibly a thread pertaining to this topic,I Went back 5 pages and couldn't find anything,so advice of directions to a pertinent thread.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's all plainly for your personal use so, since your journey is entirely within the EU and you are transporting it yourself, you won't have any customs issues. Written proof that you're moving house might be handy to have, but it should be pretty obvious from everything else you're carrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Even if they're bothered to check, the excise people will be able to tell from the labels on the whiskey bottles that they were purchased in Ireland so no worries there. As you're moving from Sweden I assume they're not duty-free bottles which technically you are not allowed bring back into the country though as a bona fide immigrant that's unlikely to be an issue given the quantities involved.

The quantities you're talking about are tiny, you really have nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Drink the beer to save space in the car would be my first piece of advice. Unless it's beer bought specifically to age?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

what constitutes personal use is listed in an excise guideline.
    "10 litres Spirits (whiskey, gin, vodka, etc.)"
    "110 litres Beer "
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html

and thats per person, so if travelling with the wife you'll be under those limits between the 2 of you
    Drink the beer to save space in the car would be my first piece of advice. Unless it's beer bought specifically to age?
    indeed, if its generic schlop like heineken or carlsberg then best drink it (or donate to a needy student) and save the space.
    Otherwise, I've found that the space at the childrens (dangling) feet is a wonderful place to stash a couple of dozen bottles of beer when the need arises, which seems to spontaneously happen when driving through Belgium for some reason.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

what constitutes personal use is listed in an excise guideline.
    And it's just a guideline. If you roll through in a car full of household belongings and kids then it's going to be clear what's happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Thank you all for your replies,most helpful indeed.

No Carlsberg/Heineken in the Collection-the most generic bottle would probably be the paulaner Oktoberfest bier-It's more of a Collection of beers/Ales/stouts not usually found in pubs.

*tips hat in your direction*

Advertisement