Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running App

Options
  • 08-10-2014 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Are there any alternatives to Mapmyrun which are free? The aforementioned app is not free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fully floating

Strava

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

Strava

does it have similar features?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fully floating

To me they are fairly similar tho haven't used either in ages as I got a garmin.

To me they are fairly similar tho haven't used either in ages as I got a garmin.

Nice one. How much does mapmyrun charge anyway?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

it's free. their mvp,which is optional,is a subscription service. most of the services have paid options for more serious users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

I use runkeeper. find it excellent for running / cycling. phone battery lasts longer than a lot of Garmins.

run keeper seems quite popular

thanks everyone. i downloaded run keeper. didn't know i could burn 900 calories on a 10k. pretty awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Polar Beat app is pretty good too. Free and underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Those calorie statistics are notoriously optimistic - designed to make casual runners/cyclists feel a lot better about themselves :)

Look at the difference a garmin with HRM declares compared to a generic app.

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Those calorie statistics are notoriously optimistic - designed to make casual runners/cyclists feel a lot better about themselves :)

Look at the difference a garmin with HRM declares compared to a generic app.

I wouldn't consider myself to be a casual runner tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭John G

MiCoach works for me. Great training tools etc and all for free

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thejaguar

thanks everyone. i downloaded run keeper. didn't know i could burn 900 calories on a 10k. pretty awesome.

I'd be pretty wary of the calorie calculations on Runkeeper. I commute about 10k to work and Runkeeper comes in about 400 calories, my Polar HRM reckons about 250. I'd be more inclined to believe the HRM.

Having said that - I love Runkeeper, I use it for running and cycling.

thejaguar wrote: »
    I'd be pretty wary of the calorie calculations on Runkeeper. I commute about 10k to work and Runkeeper comes in about 400 calories, my Polar HRM reckons about 250. I'd be more inclined to believe the HRM.

WAHOOO!!! I AM NOT ALONE IN THIS WILDERNESS!!! :D

call yourself Mo Farah if it rocks your boat, you still didn't burn 900 calories for a 10k.

if you're not a casual runner you're likely to be even further away(lower) from the 900.

tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Yep, not saying you are, but watch those optimistic calorie figures from those apps :)

I've had some classics from MiCoach and Nike Run a couple of years back that suggested I was burning thousands of calories per run - if only. They do tend to be aimed at casual participants who are looking for a "lift" ;)

mossym wrote: »
    call yourself Mo Farah if it rocks your boat, you still didn't burn 900 calories for a 10k.

if you're not a casual runner you're likely to be even further away(lower) from the 900.

tbh.

In fairness alot has to do with the person weight, fitness, course topo etc. I'd be regular 700-800 measured off accurate weight and HR for that kind of distance running.

200-300 on the bike.

AKW wrote: »
    In fairness alot has to do with the person weight, fitness, course topo etc. I'd be regular 700-800 measured off accurate weight and HR for that kind of distance running.

200-300 on the bike.

i'd believe ~700(thought you'd be lower though). 900 is still 20 to 30% increase on that though

thejaguar wrote: »

Doesn't it depend on factors such as weight, height, age and time it took you?

Everyone is likely to be different?

I've been running about 4 years now and it does seem a bit high to tell you the truth.

I did an 1800 meter swim on Mon and according to a certain website I burned only 550 calories in a 1 hour period yet the swim seemed like more of an effort than the run.

mossym wrote: »
    i'd believe ~700(thought you'd be lower though). 900 is still 20 to 30% increase on that though

I've a fair bit of wind resistance and gravity resistance going on at the moment ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

100 calories per mile is a pretty good estimate to stick to.

I have a garmin but I also have an endomondo account which is almost like facebook for sport. You can import straight from your garmin and if you ever forget your watch, you can use the app on your phone although it's obviously not as accurate.

Advertisement