Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced to stay with current insurer due to open claim against Setanta Insurance

Options
  • 08-10-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,
    I currently have comprehensive car insurance with added no claims bonus protection with FBD insurance. I was in a minor car accident in February. The other driver was at fault. His car insurance agreed to cover the cost of repairs to my car. However, he was insured with Setanta Insurance. In June I claimed against my own insurance since I was unable to get the money off Setanta to repair my car.

My car insurance is due for renewal in November and I have gotten a 50% hike in my premium. They say this is due to higher costs and nothing to do with my claim. I have attempted to get insurance with other companies but I've been declined as I have an open claim. FBD told me the claim was with the Motor Insurance Bureau of Ireland and they cannot close it until they get the money. Until this happens, I cannot move insurers. The other companies have quoted me as if I did not have a claim. All the premiums are approximately 45% less than my quote from FBD.

Any advice? What's the next step I can take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

All of which proves that NCB protection is a complete con. Once you have a claim or a claim outstanding, they know you can't move so having NCB protection still leaves you at their mercy and as you've found out, they will still screw you.

Sadly your situation is 'business as usual' for the motor insurance business. There's nothing you can until the claim is settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

How can you have a claim outstanding if you claimed under your own policy? I presume you mean that the recovery is outstanding from Setanta, but that should not be treated by another insurer as 'open', even if you are pursuing them for a personal injury. Other insurers should treat you as having a settled claim for your own damage, with adjusted NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 7 faithhope

Yes, the recovery is outstanding from Setanta. This is being treated by own company and every other company I have spoken to as 'open'. Every other company I have spoken to have declined to insure me due to this outstanding claim even though I have explained the extenuating circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Any loose ends counts as an 'open' claim as far as other insurers are concerned. They simply will not give you a quote regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation. It's partly to do with the standard of people who answer the phones, they have zero discretion to analyse the situation and make a decision, they are ruled by a set of procedures and the answer is always 'no'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

faithhope wrote: »
    Yes, the recovery is outstanding from Setanta. This is being treated by own company and every other company I have spoken to as 'open'. Every other company I have spoken to have declined to insure me due to this outstanding claim even though I have explained the extenuating circumstances.

I wouldn't accept that (difficult I know) but recovery being outstanding is nothing to do with your claim being treated as open. From what you are saying, alternative insurers want to consider you more harshly than a customer who was at fault with no chance of recovery.

Now if you are trying to get the benefit of a full bonus, well that is different and you must wait until recovery is achieved

• Advertisement
Advertisement