Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel 2010 Forumula help

Options
  • 08-10-2014 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

hi there,
    I have a huge selection of numbers (2000+) that i need to rank in order of popularity/ how often they appear on the excel sheet. I have tried the countif function but its going to take to long to set the formula for each unique number. Is there another way of being able to capture this information so that I can get a breakdown of how often a number appears.

Ultimately i want to be able to put it on a chart to display the breakdown and then to list the top 10.

Many thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

hi there,
    I have a huge selection of numbers (2000+) that i need to rank in order of popularity/ how often they appear on the excel sheet. I have tried the countif function but its going to take to long to set the formula for each unique number. Is there another way of being able to capture this information so that I can get a breakdown of how often a number appears.

Ultimately i want to be able to put it on a chart to display the breakdown and then to list the top 10.

Many thanks

I would use countif
    countif(range;value_or_text_to_search)

countif($A$1:$A$3000;A1)
    countif($A$1:$A$3000;A2)
    countif($A$1:$A$3000;A3)
    .. copy & paste

This shouldn't take long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Phantom99

Hi,

Create a pivot table with amount in the rows and count of instances of that number in the values box.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

Pivottable is definitely the quickest and most efficient way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Phantom99

Pivottable is definitely the quickest and most efficient way to go.

I find it more reliable too

• Advertisement
Advertisement