Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Society?

Options
  • 08-10-2014 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Is the Mature Student Society having any meetings or anything yet this year?

I signed up with them on Clubs & Socs Day (and paid my E2!), but haven't heard anything since.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

They are an awful society. They did sweet fa last year but give away our mature student room to commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Oh, great :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Capt Picard

GrandBlaa wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Is the Mature Student Society having any meetings or anything yet this year?

I signed up with them on Clubs & Socs Day (and paid my E2!), but haven't heard anything since.

They post up events and announcements on their Facebook page 'Maynooth Mature-Students' and also send out emails. If you're not getting any I'd advice emailing them to make sure you're on their email list.

I think I saw something about the 'To Hell and Back' event coming up. They're very open to any ideas or things members are interested in doing also.
    BumbleB wrote: »
    They are an awful society. They did sweet fa last year but give away our mature student room to commuters.

That's not true at all.. Last year they organised several events throughout the year, the problem was they got dealt a ****ty hand from the previous year's administration and also had to deal with the transition from the SU area (mature only) room to being made to take the Bunker room which is also a commuters room - thats the SU's doing right there not the mature student society. In fact, the only reason there is an area at all is because members of last year's mature student committee fought tooth and nail during the summer to have an area, to the best of my knowledge there was no initial plan to replace the mature student room only for the actions of a small few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

That's not true at all.. Last year they organised several events throughout the year, the problem was they got dealt a ****ty hand from the previous year's administration and also had to deal with the transition from the SU area (mature only) room to being made to take the Bunker room which is also a commuters room - thats the SU's doing right there not the mature student society. In fact, the only reason there is an area at all is because members of last year's mature student committee fought tooth and nail during the summer to have an area, to the best of my knowledge there was no initial plan to replace the mature student room only for the actions of a small few.

Ok. i was a little harsh. The reason I was in this case was to draw out the lurkers . I would like to add the organisors are very nice welcoming people and did work very hard to make the mature students room which was great in the beginning and helped me a lot at the start to transition into college. I commend them for that. The room was great place relaxing etc but the main SU just decided to claim it and then it became a "teenage slumber party" as one person put it. I felt it was foreign to me and I never have went back since. After that the mature student minority became fragmented which was a real shame. It's ok for me because I am a young mature student (for want of a better word) and it wasn't such an issue but I really felt for the older mature students who used the place as a hideout because they didn't feel comfortable in the coffee dock.

Advertisement