Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraud Text - Irepayment.com - claiming to be REVENUE

Options
  • 08-10-2014 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Anyone else get this text ?

"Your tax refund is being prepared for payment. Please visit WWW.IREPAYMENT.COM to enter your specially assigned ITC key : xxxx to complete the online process."

The phone no. is 7383683 but displays as REVENUE ....

Dodgy dodgy ......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Seems legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Let me guess, they're going to require your bank details to process this "refund" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It's a scam. Delete it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

It's not exactly a scam it's more some guy trying to prevent what happened to his mother.

If you go to the website contained within the text it says

Hi there.

You are obviously on this website because you have received a BOGUS sms telling you of some Irish Tax Refund.

Well today is your lucky day because that SMS you received was not sent by the real scammers. They may however send you similar information in the future or you may have been a victim in the past.

I took this quest upon myself to educate people after my mother received similar SMS that cloned the real revenue.ie website. She filled her Debit card and bank account details.

A few days later, the fraudsters made away with a chunk of her account balance.

This kind of fraud has been going on for a while and for some reasons, the banks are not doing enough to protect her customers.

Experience they say is the best teacher. This is why i have taken the pain(technical and financial) to setup this page, purchase some SMS credit and send out a similar copy of the message my mother received. Anyone who visits this page could have been a potential victim had it been the real fraud page sent out by the criminals.

NOW that you know how easy it is to be scamnmed, be guided and do others good by forwarding the same SMS to them.

REVENUE will NEVER ask you to submit your bank account or debit card details via email or SMS.

There is even a warning on their website here ... http://www.revenue.ie/en/spotlights/email-scam.html

YOU MAY NOW CLOSE THIS PAGE KNOWING FULLY WELL YOU COULD EASILY HAVE BEEN A VICTIM OF FRAUD TODAY.

I hope to continue doing this until everyone is aware of this con. Please help to share this page anyway you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

I try to keep my phone no. away from any of these guys, and the most recent disclosure of my number was to Irish Water .... coincidence ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I try to keep my phone no. away from any of these guys, and the most recent disclosure of my number was to Irish Water .... coincidence ?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Got that text. Deleted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Your tax refund thats when i knew it was a scam

Advertisement