Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The two lads up the crane - I wonder how they're getting on?

Options
  • 07-10-2014 10:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/workers-stage-sitin-protest-in-crane-cabin-200-feet-above-the-ground-30645990.html

As they begin the second night of their sit in 200 feet up in a crane the two lads must be running out of things to say to for small talk by now and starting to get on each other's tits.

They have packed enough food to last them eight days but all the fresh stuff must be nearly gone so time to start on the tinned stuff in the morning I reckon.

Any suggestions on how the conversation might be going for them from here...........

Luke - Did you remember to pack the tin opener?

Gary - What?

Luke - The tin opener, the bleedin tin opener. Did you pack it?

Gary - I thought you were bringing one. Did you not put one in the bag with the jax paper?

Luke - Jax paper? You were meant to pack that and all.

Gary - I was in me bollix, it was my job to bring the tea bags.

Luke - Yeah, you packed 400 bleedin teabags and no friggin kettle. What are we meant to do, light a bleedin campfire?

Gary - ....................

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Cold, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Be grand once they have a lump of hash and a few skins and a 2 litre of Club orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Sharon Curley was up the pole and she survived..they'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Must be very liberating taking a dump in the middle of the night or the crane and try to aim it into holes, wheel barrows or other stuff around the site.

On a side note I remember back in the construction heyday i had the idea of starting a website called site sh1te after witnessing no end of weird and massive craps in the site portaloos. Some of the donkey's legs Ive seen in jacks would make you ponder the notion or extraterrestrials.

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Jussnot Fairmann

Im on a crane, I can't complain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Do they have toilet and cooking facilities on those things?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Lads you's are braking health and safety gard your breaking health and safety .

oooooooooh wrong thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

A sit in on a crane is the height of stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Hope they don't get hit by a helicopter :):):).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

kneemos wrote: »
    Do they have toilet

i wouldn't like to be standing underneath that crane :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Good thing those cranes have toilets.

Don't they ? :eek:

Anyway subcontractors so it's he said / she said , hopefully the truth will out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

They don't have a toilet up there. Most lads have a piss bottle but that's it. No crap till lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hmmmm, and Thunder & Lightning due tonight...... boom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I hope they know how to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What's wrong with working as a sub contractor??......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Wompa1 wrote: »
    What's wrong with working as a sub contractor??......

€4.90 an hour is whats wrong.

Lapin wrote: »
    €4.90 an hour is whats wrong.

Wasn't that investigated and found to be false? I worked as a sub contractor for 7 years. There's no retirement fund, no severance pay and no health insurance but you know that when you sign the contract.....

Also, I'd imagine these lads agreed to whatever they are getting paid...(Which according to the new is more than 4.90 an hour)

Wasn't that investigated and found to be false? I worked as a sub contractor for 7 years. There's no retirement fund, no severance pay and no health insurance but you know that when you sign the contract.....

Also, I'd imagine these lads agreed to whatever they are getting paid...(Which according to the new is more than 4.90 an hour)

Sounds like a scam.Who's your employer in that case?

Sounds like a scam.Who's your employer in that case?

Don't work there any more and it wasn't a scam. It's common practice and just like the result of the investigation in this case, it's perfectly legit...why do you think being a sub contractor is a scam?

Don't work there any more and it wasn't a scam. It's common practice and just like the result of the investigation in this case, it's perfectly legit...why do you think being a sub contractor is a scam?

Sounds like a way of getting round paying normal benefits.

Who's your employer?

• Advertisement

Sounds like a way of getting round paying normal benefits.

Who's your employer?

I'm not a sub contractor in my current job. That was a few years ago and why would I tell you that? you trying to recruit me? What's the pay?

I'm not a sub contractor in my current job. That was a few years ago and why would I tell you that? you trying to recruit me? What's the pay?

Don't mean the actual name,was it a recruiting agency,a company or self employed?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,040 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the fact the company is running to the court for injunctions left right and centre to me sounds like they are running scared. pay up or be put out of business i say

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Don't mean the actual name,was it a recruiting agency,a company or self employed?

It was a different company. They did handle recruiting but it wasn't their whole operation. They had their own HR for their employees and own managers. So if you had any concerns or need direction, you'd have to go to them rather than the actual manager for the full timers. It was a bit dumb but I think that it was done that way for legal purposes.

It was, what it was. I knew what I was signing up for and wasn't any worse off for it.

It was a different company. They did handle recruiting but it wasn't their whole operation. They had their own HR for their employees and own managers. So if you had any concerns or need direction, you'd have to go to them rather than the actual manager for the full timers. It was a bit dumb but I think that it was done that way for legal purposes.

It was, what it was. I knew what I was signing up for and wasn't any worse off for it.

I had the impression that everyone working in the building trade had to get certain benefits,but there you were working in the building trade without the benefits.
    The whole point of these benefits I thought was that they were compulsory,so people couldn't agree to sign up without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

luke: Did you bring the travel scrabble gary?

gary: I brought the normal scrabble and the travel scrabble,

luke. The travel scrabble for when we were traveling, and the
    normal scrabble for when we arrived!

luke: Good man!

gary: Ah, no, wait a minute....now that I think of it I
    didn't bring either of them! God , I'm an awful eejit! !

I had the impression that everyone working in the building trade had to get certain benefits,but there you were working in the building trade without the benefits.
    The whole point of these benefits I thought was that they were compulsory,so people couldn't agree to sign up without them.

I wasn't in the building trade. I'm not sure what you're referencing. That sounds like Union talk. Anyways, that's aside from this story...these guys signed a contract, they agreed to the terms. Why are they upset?

If you know anything more than what's being reported, please feel free to share because from what's being reported and what was stated in court is that these guys were making more than 4.90 an hour

I wasn't in the building trade. I'm not sure what you're referencing. That sounds like Union talk. Anyways, that's aside from this story...these guys signed a contract, they agreed to the terms. Why are they upset?

If you know anything more than what's being reported, please feel free to share because from what's being reported and what was stated in court is that these guys were making more than
    4.90 an hour

I assumed you worked in the building trade considering what the thread is about.

You'll always get someone to work for less these days,compulsory benefits are there so people can't and maintain standards.

I assumed you worked in the building trade considering what the thread is about.

You'll always get someone to work for less these days,compulsory benefits are there so people can't and maintain standards.

It's in After Hours....

Also, when you talk about this, you are referring to a Union...I'm assuming. Because the only compulsory 'benefit' that I know of for workers is minimum wage. If a company wants to use sub contractors that are non-Union, they should have that choice.

• Advertisement

It's in After Hours....

Also, when you talk about this, you are referring to a Union...I'm assuming. Because the only compulsory 'benefit' that I know of for workers is minimum wage. If a company wants to use sub contractors that are non-Union, they should have that choice.

Holidays,pension payments and agreed rates for trades are all compulsory in the building game AFAIK.

Advertisement