Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Exam Paper Marking Schemes

Options
  • 07-10-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

This is the Qs.
    (2012)(20 Marks)
    Evaluate the role and functions of the National Consumer Agency in protecting consumers

My answer:
    National Consumer Agency
     Promote interests of consumers. Inform consumers of their rights.
     Investigate offences under the relevant law
     Refer cases to the DPP
     Encourage compliance with the law
     It carries out important research & advises the government.

Evaluation of the NCA
     I think that the NCA is effective/important because;
     It has real power to investigate business that bread the CIA.
     It can punish business that break the CIA.
     It can stop false & misleading ads.

Marking Scheme answer:

The main role/functions of the NCA are:
     To promote and protect the interests and welfare of consumers. To inform
    consumers of their rights/publish shopper’s rights leaflets/ provide a consumer
    phone service/website.
     To enforce the relevant consumer law. Enforcement tools include prohibition
    notices, undertakings from traders, compliance notices, on the spot fines for
    offences relating to price display, and the ability to "name and shame" with the
    publication of non-compliant trader names. These powers include the right to
    enter premises, get documentation and other evidence in relation to any trade or
    business which is being investigated.
     To encourage compliance with the relevant law/ to investigate suspected offences
    under any of the relevant laws.
     To refer cases to the Director of Public Prosecutions where appropriate.
     To conduct research into consumer issues/attitudes. Responsibility for market
    surveillance of non-food consumer products.

Evaluation The NCA is very effective because it is a statutory body, is an advocate for the
    consumer and has enforcement powers for example:
    -The NCA can serve a compliance notice on a trader whom it considers to have engaged in a
    prohibited activity. The NCA has the power to enter premises to gather evidence, with the
    support of the Gardaí if necessary. The trader has 14 days in which to appeal the notice. If the
    trader fails to comply, the NCA may take criminal proceedings.
    -Publication of a Consumer Protection List; a list of traders convicted of criminal offences,
    subject to court orders, bound by an undertaking, served with a compliance notice, or subject to
    a fixed payment notice.
    -The National Consumer Agency may also apply to the court for an order that requires a
    business to pay compensation for any loss or damage to the consumer resulting from an offence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

My question is this, by looking at the 2 answers, obviously I will not get full marks, but is this what is expected, nearly a page for just 1 question !!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

My question is this, by looking at the 2 answers, obviously I will not get full marks, but is this what is expected, nearly a page for just 1 question !!
    Marking schemes are a guide and in many instances they attempt to provide an exhaustive a list as possible in an effort to assist correctors.

Adhere to the rule: State - Explain your statement - provide a second relevant point such as an example and you wont go far wrong.

Advertisement