Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving simulator

• 07-10-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Are there any enthusiastic guys who would have some spare time to build a driving simulator with me to put it somewhere and earn some money. If you doubt it I'll just say, it works, I already done it once. But as I'm new in town I don't know the place to do it. I'm in Cork City.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Ardor wrote: »
    Are there any enthusiastic guys who would have some spare time to build a driving simulator with me to put it somewhere and earn some money. If you doubt it I'll just say, it works, I already done it once. But as I'm new in town I don't know the place to do it. I'm in Cork City.

If you've built it once, why don't you just reuse the code?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ardor

I'm not sure what do you mean by code, because I'm not talking about driving simulator software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

You mean building one of those simulators you see in the arcades with steering wheel and gears etc?
    Like the Ferarri one? Which was bloody difficult and a pocket burner!
    Sounds like way too much work regarding making the game.
    I mean without a solid business plan etc.
    I can see how it could work if that's the case though. Just not the kind of area or game I would personally be excited about.

I don't know if I can put a link here to see what I mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I don't know if I can put a link here to see what I mean?
    Requires 50 posts I think, in order to prevent spammers.
    But you can probably tell us what the link is and we can decipher it ourselves.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Just go to You tube and type driving simulator(physical part). Maybe it won't look so fun from the outside but sure it was fun to "drive" it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thanks. Just go to You tube and type driving simulator(physical part). Maybe it won't look so fun from the outside but sure it was fun to "drive" it.

Ok. I've seen the video.
    The motion of the car didn't particularly seem to reflect acceleration / braking / side lean to simulate turns.

As I said from the outside it looks so. And it was a kinda prototype made in just two weeks to see what would be the feeling when you actually sit in the car. As well the money invested was minimal for the same reason. Of course it can be done many times better, depends only on how good you want to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

As I said from the outside it looks so. And it was a kinda prototype made in just two weeks to see what would be the feeling when you actually sit in the car. As well the money invested was minimal for the same reason. Of course it can be done many times better, depends only on how good you want to make it.
    I know nothing of making a sim from scratch.
    How do you go about relating the car motion to what it should feel like specifically as you mention that you are not involved with coding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kyotokid

There is a US company called Simxperience (I can't link either....look at their Stage 4 motion) who have this sort of kit.

Stage 4 is decent and is $5K (base) but there are lots out there that go from that price to $25K (Stage 5). The are professional ones that go to $150K due to all the gubbins and tech.

Since you've made one before you prob know all this, but you can get the components from them lot too.

Are you wanting game devs to write a matching simulator experience part for all of this? That would be a bit of a task!

Keep us posted on the progress :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement