Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ideal Android Hardware?

Options
  • 07-10-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,821 ✭✭✭✭

So I thought i would start a thread on People views on the 'Ideal' Android.

I have had android devices since the first HTC Desire Hero and Legend Variants, Gone from Samsung Nexus to Samsung SII to Samsung S4 Moto G and HTC One.

The most recent 'fad' of upsizing screens i have to preface this with, irks me greatly . It feels very much like not having enough bhp difference under the bonnet so "lets should just stick a new windscreen on it"

Personally i think this is quite heavily driven by marketing men looking for a new angle to shift stuff with, but my question is. Do you think that people actually want these new large screen sizes? It this a market request or is the market due to lack of options forcing users into these sizes ?

Why not have a normal and max option? manufacturing costs?

My ideal Android handset currently would be a Moto X with a smaller screen size (top end 4.7") i think going past this breaches for me usability and size in my pocket.

My reasons for the choice, I love Motorolas most recent build quality, i love the curved back, i love the customised rears.

To top it off they havent tinkered with stock Android so much as to mess it up with unhelpfulness ala Touch Wiz. I dont mind what HTC have done, they have not overly tinkered with the UI, But Motorola really have their act together probably partially to do with Googles Ownership/influence since departed.

Im in the market now. The Samsung Alpha hits many notes, But i literally despise touchwiz with the depths of my being. So what to buy....
    i was so disappointed to read recent rumours on the nexus 6 size, beyond disappointed. I think this will really hurt sales of the device. So im stuck with waiting till next year to see whats next.

In short Moto X Smaller would be my ideal phone (perhaps a better camera but it would be a luxury extra for me)

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Sony Design + HTC build quality + Nexus Price + Stock Android = :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,821 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Unusual, I always found the experia ranges to be not great 'in the hand' if that makes sense??

Ive handled at least 3 sonys in the last 3 years for some time and none of them 'grabbed' me in terms of holding the phone regularly. It felt it wasny designed for my grip. Maybe its personal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I have to say the Xiaomi Mi4 looks great, maybe because it's a bit of an iPhone rip off, but running Android..

Not keen on the bigger screens either, 5" is pushing it IMHO. I would like to see the option for top quality cameras/sensors and maybe some optical zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Gimme a nexus 5 with a bigger battery and better camera and im 100% happy right now i dont need any more horsepower

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

projectgtr wrote: »
    Gimme a nexus 5 with a bigger battery and better camera and im 100% happy right now i dont need any more horsepower

I think screen size is perfect (for me!) on the N5, hope the N6 doesn't feel a bit big for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

I have to say the Xiaomi Mi4 looks great, maybe because it's a bit of an iPhone rip off, but running Android..

Not keen on the bigger screens either, 5" is pushing it IMHO. I would like to see the option for top quality cameras/sensors and maybe some optical zoom.

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/panasonic-cm1-marries-android-phone-to-slim-camera/

Its standout feature is a large f2.8 28mm-equivalent lens made by Leica and an accompanying 1-inch, 20-megapixel sensor.
    panasonic_cm1_analisis_1.jpg

Not for €900 though... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've an LG g2 atm and think it's the best phone I've ever had, and I've had a lot. Have it nearly a year now at this stage. I used to Change phone regularly but decided I've no reason to upgrade unless a phone with an awesome camera and a 3500 mah battery is released.

The screen, battery and camera are the most important things to me in a phone. Put this together with a snapdragon 810, good design and good android skin and I'm buying. Of course a good price would also be nice :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Not hardware but I'd like to see the os become more optimised, I love having a new phone every six months that's well speced but it's getting silly.
    If Apple can optimise ios so well surely google can to?

54kroc wrote: »
    Not hardware but I'd like to see the os become more optimised, I love having a new phone every six months that's well speced but it's getting silly.
    If Apple can optimise ios so well surely google can to?

Samsung user? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Samsung user? :D

That's a terrible thing to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

listermint wrote: »
    Unusual, I always found the experia ranges to be not great 'in the hand' if that makes sense??

Ive handled at least 3 sonys in the last 3 years for some time and none of them 'grabbed' me in terms of holding the phone regularly. It felt it wasny designed for my grip. Maybe its personal ?

Also find the Sony phones uncomfortable in the hand. Too square maybe and harsh edges.
    Love the look of the LG G3 and also the Moto X.
    Very happy with my Nexus 4 at the moment as size is perfect.
    Might stretch out to a Moto X size if pushed but no bigger.
    I find build quality is excellent in the LG phones and also Moto. Had a few HTC phones too and they are rock solid. I even used my old trusted Legend a few weeks ago.

BTW. it has to be stock for me now as Samsung stuff drives me crazy and even HTC are a little heavy handed also but not too bad. Sony was a nightmare I found.

The One Plus probably for me had alot going for it.

Drawbacks of it

Massive Screen (too massive)
    Cyanmod, Im not mad into rooting tbh. I perfer a vanilla android handed to me, Nexus being the winner. Loved My Samsung Nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Personally I love the feel of the HTC one. Just feels good in my hand. Think the screen is big enough. Would love a battery that lasted longer than a day tho.

I suppose if I put it down for 5 secs it might be better .

I'd be happy out with the size once they got faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

For me, the display has to be between 4.5" and 5" with very little bezel so the device isn't too bulky.
    Chip should be the latest Snapdragon 805 with 3GB or RAM.
    Don't care whether it's AMOLED or IPS as long the screen is bright and has good sunlight legibility.
    In terms of weight/thickness, honest, I couldn't care less. As long as it's under 200g, I personally have no problem. If anything, I think some devices are too thin.
    Would also prefer to have an SD card slot and removeable battery. SD card's are much cheaper than NAND flash that manufacturers are fobbing us with.
    Camera is a key one for me. Sick of the rubbish cameras in Android phones at this stage. The new Panasonic looks interesting but is crippled by LED flash.
    FM transmitter is another hardware feature I used to always use. Unfortunately it has not been seen since that Microsoft idiot wrecked Nokia.
    As for the OS, if I had to choose, then it's going to be Vanilla Android. In terms of stability and ease of use, nothing else compares.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Folks is this the best phone currently on the market?

Specs look amazing!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Specs look amazing!

pity its a Verizon exclusive i would love that phone, hope motorola do their own version.

Specs look amazing!

I think so. Its amazing that Motorola didnt take on of the queues from it themselves and run with it independent. It will be hammered by bloat though I've used verizon stuff before not great. But hardware excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

My biggest frustration when buying a new android is when a device ticks so many boxes - aesthetics/build quality, display, said company's skin over android, etc - only to be let down by what I consider to be a poor camera. The HTC flagships have easily been my favourites to look at and hold over the last 2 years, and I have come close to getting both, only to opt for Samsung's flagship Note, instead, due to a poor camera. Don't get me wrong, having went with the Note, I was in no way disappointed, and will be getting another one (4) in December, but I'd love to try out a different device.

I still think the HTC flagship is the business, just a slick, premium handset. Nexus is a device I'd love to try out too, and having had the chance to mess around with one, it was a treat to play with the pure google experience. I'm just of the opinion that no other android device's camera can quite compete with the ones that Samsung's flagships have, and with the Note 4's OIS added to their 16mp shooter, there is only one choice for me.

Again, I know I'll be happy out with my Note 4 (I love the multitasking, and a launcher quenches the limited options of touchwiz home screens for me), but would I like to see more camera competition from manufacturers in the future? Yes, most definitely.

Advertisement