Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Publicans representative bodies

Options
  • 07-10-2014 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

Doing some research for a project on the pub trade in Ireland.

As far as I can establish there's approx 7,500 pubs in Ireland (with about 10 a week closing their doors for good - allegedly).

There's two representative bodies, the LVI who represent about 600 pubs in Dublin down as far as Bray (about 85% of that market), these pubs sell about 25% of the alcohol sold in the on trade in Ireland. The other crowd, the VFI (the "support your local" group who represent about 4,000 members outside of Dublin

So what of the other 2,900 pubs, are they unrepresented or is there a third mysterious group that no-one has ever heard of ?

I'm working on the assumption that these organisations are like a union & the publicans pay a membership or subscription fee. Would this be a lot ?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OU812 wrote: »
    I'm working on the assumption that these organisations are like a union & the publicans pay a membership or subscription fee.

They are both trade lobby groups, nothing like trades unions. For the sub you get a regular magazine and you can attend local meetings to elect your regional representatives to go to the AGM. Oh and a sticker (Member 2014) to put in the window which only other publicans take notice of, that's about it.

http://www.lva.ie/about/
    http://www.vfi.ie/About

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Guinness pay LVA membership subs for account holders.

I think a lot of the newer pubs aren't arsed with the LVA, who from my own experience seem to be primarily concerned with keeping the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Thanks N97. Any idea how much the membership fees are? They don't want to tell me over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Please note that this thread was posted by prior agreement with the mods.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

n97 mini wrote: »
    Guinness pay LVA membership subs for account holders.

I think a lot of the newer pubs aren't arsed with the LVA, who from my own experience seem to be primarily concerned with keeping the status quo.

I've also been made aware that you can pay your VFI sub through your Diagio account.
    Diagio don't pay your sub but do administer the payments.

I was truly shocked when I heard this. Diagio and their ilk have been royaly screwing publicans in Ireland for years and their representative body is clearly in bed with them.
    Sure, as long as the big publicans get their junkets from Diagio and Co., everything's grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sure, as long as the big publicans get their junkets from Diagio and Co., everything's grand.

All of the major suppliers (breweries, importers and distributors) look after publicans and their staff with junkets and golf outings, it's what keep a lot of golf courses operating during the year.

Advertisement