Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick, questions about training for small Tri

Options
  • 07-10-2014 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

Well, it's kind of a Tri'. I'm doing the Megalithic Man Race 2014 in two weeks.
    I've only ever done Duathlons and have never really be concerned about time/training etc. I'd like to prepare for this and some future events a little better if I can.

So what I'd liek to know is;
    Is it ok to train two days in a row? I did a 3.5k run & 5k cycle yesterday, should I do more today? I fancy doing a 10k/15k cycle.

How do I carry a bike uphill? Is there a technique?

I know these aren't great distances but I gotta start somewhere.

http://megalithicman.com/

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I think you can push the bike on most of that. You can carry it by the top tube at one shoulder or across your back. See what works.

If you feel able to, train. But take recovery days.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

ok. THanks,

What do you generally do in this situation, do you put your runners back on for the bike push/carry and then put the cycle shoes on once on the bike again?

In this case is it standard to carry a rucksack with shoes/lid etc in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I wouldn't bother with bike shoes for this event. Stick to your trail shoes for both the run and the bike.

Re uphill with the bike, the easiest way is to push it up with you. Stand to one side with a hand on the saddle and the other on the handlebar and brake. Push the bike up a metre, pull the brake and use the bike as an anchor. If you are strong enough to throw the bike over your shoulder and run with it cyclocross style that is an option too.

Leave the helmet on your head, keeps your hands free and just drop it with the bike when not needed.

ok, that's cool. Thanks for the advice.

Silly Q but do I need any of those gels or bars in my back pocket for this distance?
    I'm fairly fit, not great but I don;t really know anything about nutrition when running/cycling.

I do 10k in 47 mins, which isn't crap for 40 y.o. I dont think. I never take water when running and never carb load or anything like that.
    I do want to improve my times however and getting better nutrition is probably a decent part of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Not at all. Have grub before and something for afterwards, you'll be fine. Have a drink on the bike to wet your whistle, but other than that you should be 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

OP: I'm doing the same race - also did the Moxie 27km course earlier this summer. I'd echo the comments about shoes - with three changes and 10km bike legs, any advantage you gain on the bike is more than lost in transitions. I carried water on the bike at Moxie, but didn't use much - depending on preference, you may choose not to bother. I ate a carb-heavy meal the night before and porridge early on race day - but I don't have enough race experience to say if that was the best option.

One thing I will say is that the hills on adventure races tend to be a lot tougher than anything you usually see on road runs. If you have a chance, find the biggest and steepest hill you can and do two-minute repeats - two minutes up the hill, turn and jog back down, then back up again. If you get two of those sessions in before Megalithic Man, the slopes will be a good deal less punishing.

As for the assault course: I'm new to that myself, and am just hoping I don't get stuck on anything...

Nice one! The only thing I was thinking was that the pedals be so small & the running shoes having a side base I might slip a lot, esp
    with he mud etc! What do you think? I dont have extra pedals.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Nice one! The only thing I was thinking was that the pedals be so small & the running shoes having a side base I might slip a lot, esp
    with he mud etc! What do you think? I dont have extra pedals.

Ask your local bike shop or a friend can you borrow regular pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Post-race reaction: well, that was seriously tough. Multiple 45-degree inclines on the run, the hike through lumpy fields while carrying the bike, and the assault course at the end to make sure there's nothing left in the tank. I did three sub-30km adventure races this summer, and yesterday took far more out of me than either of the others.

Yeah, was hard going but feel good today. Made huge mistake by not buying peddles and just changing at transition.
    Should have bought peddles with clips as about 95% of people did but I didn't get it together in time.

The hills we nuts, even at the first run. The hill about 4k into the bike ride was very hard for me, really bad on hills and
    I struggled badly here. The ride back was great for me though and did really well on that stretch. Thought the last run/assault course
    was a bit crap and skewed the timings imo. I had to wait while a bunch of fairly out of shape girls having a laugh tried to get over some of the obstacles. Between that and changing shoes I lost a load of time. I still would have done badly I think as the bike hill climb really got me and the bike carry was bad for me too, although I passed a few people on the way during that.

I really enjoyed it though, well organised and great weather... would do again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement