Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRW test -advice needed - emmissions on old engine

Options
  • 06-10-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭

Have a 1994 reg peugeot talbot J5 petrol engined Motorhome. It's 1971 cc and engine is a 170 B. It has failed on the CO, Lambda and HC at high rpm. Everything else is ok. Got it tested three times over the past three weeks. On one test all three were just above the max allowed . On another occasion the lambda was ok.
    I have done everything including changing oil , fuel and air filters, spark plugs. Double checked exhaust. Used Diptane and drove hard for over 60 mls and arrived at the test centre with a very hot engine. Before the second last test I brought it to a garage with a gas analyser. It is into racing cars.
    Because of the information on page 15 of the LCV Testers Manual,
    where it states that ' where it can be established that the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations on exhaust emissions are higher than those listed in the reasons for failure, then the manufacturer's figure should be the criteria used when deciding whether or not a vehicle passes' This related to vehicles reg from Jan 1,1994
    The official 'Peugeot J5 Factory Workshop Manual ' refers to a carburettor setting and an idling speed of 800+-50 and a CO of 1 to 2 %. It refers to no other speed and there is no reference to Lambda whatsoever.
    My vehicle at manufacture was not fitted with any advanced carbon emissions devices such as a catalytic convertor , Lambda sensor, particulate filter or even an ECR valve. The tester said that he will go along with the manufacturer's recommendations if I get them in writing- a letter which I am failing to get. The original Manu has had its ownership restructured a number of times and the 'current' office is somewhere between Paris and Turin.
    The equivalent test in UK -MOT - for my vehicle recognises its age and the absence of advanced CO emissions systems. It is tested at low idle only. Max CO is 3.5 % and ppm is 1200. The Irish figs -at high idle are CO max of .3% and max ppm of 200. Is the test asking the vehicle to pass a test that it could not pass because of the engine design ?
    I assume that the regulations in both Ireland and the UK were drawn up in response to the
    same relevant EU documents. The MOT testers use a set of two manuals , namely:- ' In Service Exhaust Service Standard for Road Vehicles' document (18th edition) and the 'Vehicle and Operators Service Agency. Has anybody used the Manu figs. All advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

OP you asked to move this post to the other DOE thread, but it would only get lost there as well because of its date ...so I'm giving it a *BUMP* instead :D
    (I've also changed the title)

Advertisement