Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water main leak

Options
  • 06-10-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭

I have been told bi IW that I have a leak on my property. They have checked from meter to front door, and say the problem is beyond there.
    Any ideas on where I go from here ? I don't suppose they'll cover repair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

mattser wrote: »
    I have been told bi IW that I have a leak on my property. They have checked from meter to front door, and say the problem is beyond there.

Anything past the meter is the responsibility of the householder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Any ideas on where I go from here ?
    Get yourself a plumber if you're not DIY inclined.

I don't suppose they'll cover repair.
    It has nothing to do with them. I'm surprised that they even checked from the meter to your front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Be systematic.

First night, turn off the water where it comes into the house (there is probably a valve under the sink which will turn off water to everything in the house.). Read the meter. Read the meter again first thing in the morning and then turn the valve back on.

If there is water being consumed, that means the leak is between the front of the house and the valve.

If not, it is somewhere beyond that valve.

Is it the cold tap in the kitchen, or something else fed directly from mains? You might be able to check these directly to find a leak.

Is it something fed from the roof tank? If it is, the tank will be continuously filling. Check to see if the roof tank is overflowing too.

It obviously depends on your setup, but be systematic. Keep proper records as you go along. It may take a few days of turning things on and off and re-reading the meter. If you can do this before bringing the plumber in and have some idea of where the leak is, it may save you a good bit of of money.

Note, if you turn anything off overnight, be sure to turn it on again in the morning, before any activity begins in the household. Otherwise you might get airlocks.

a.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mattser wrote: »

Irish water said that they will cover the cost of a leak in the driveway in the first year.
    Obviously they won't cover this. A good plumber will sort this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Be systematic.

First night, turn off the water where it comes into the house (there is probably a valve under the sink which will turn off water to everything in the house.). Read the meter. Read the meter again first thing in the morning and then turn the valve back on.

If there is water being consumed, that means the leak is between the front of the house and the valve.

If not, it is somewhere beyond that valve.

Is it the cold tap in the kitchen, or something else fed directly from mains? You might be able to check these directly to find a leak.

Is it something fed from the roof tank? If it is, the tank will be continuously filling. Check to see if the roof tank is overflowing too.

It obviously depends on your setup, but be systematic. Keep proper records as you go along. It may take a few days of turning things on and off and re-reading the meter. If you can do this before bringing the plumber in and have some idea of where the leak is, it may save you a good bit of of money.

Note, if you turn anything off overnight, be sure to turn it on again in the morning, before any activity begins in the household. Otherwise you might get airlocks.

a.

Thanks for the advice. Will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Irish water said that they will cover the cost of a leak in the driveway in the first year.
    Obviously they won't cover this. A good plumber will sort this for you.

That was my understanding too. It's crazy how so many people have different interpetrations of this bloody thing.

Thanks.

Advertisement