Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5 Battery Woes

Options
  • 06-10-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

My battery in the nexus 5 has gone terrible over the last two weeks or so, I'm generally having to charge it twice a day.

Here is a screenshot of my battery usage from coming off charge at 100% around 9.30 this morning.Image

The chargers I use is the one that came with the phone and the wireless nexus charging doc from play.google.com.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Been happening to me too, much worse than usual over the last few weeks.
    Battery actually died after 12 hours and I'd barely used it that day. I turned off all location data yesterday and have seen a big increase in battery.

Even now my battery is down to 65% after being unplugged and used quite a bit since 6.30am. Turn off location data for a day or two and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

I have location data off, auto sync off and been on wifi instead of 3G/4G for the day, and its dropped 80% in 4 hours.
    I can't believe how bad it has gone, in the weeks prior I would get a day easily out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I have location data off, auto sync off and been on wifi instead of 3G/4G for the day, and its dropped 80% in 4 hours.
    I can't believe how bad it has gone, in the weeks prior I would get a day easily out of it.

That is exceptionally bad. Try a factory reset?

That was my next step but there is so much I would have to backup prior to it.
    I was hoping, probably very ambitiously, that someone would have a "quick fix" or experienced this abysmal battery life also.
    I think if a factory reset doesn't fix it, the next step would be to contact Google support and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

You're image attachment isn't showing what apps or processes are using up all the battery power.
    What are the top 3 listed as using battery?

From what you have in the image attached you have a wakelock; an app keeping your phone away and probably at 100% instead of letting it sleep.
    Look at the screen on time vs awake..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'm having the same issue with a Desire 601. Its brand new, so I don't see what a factory reset would achieve.

Currently I have WiFi off, location off, update off. I have a task killer app switching off background apps. But still my battery lasts less than 8 hours.

Any tips?

ongarite wrote: »
    You're image attachment isn't showing what apps or processes are using up all the battery power.

From what you have in the image attached you have a wakelock; an app keeping your phone away and probably at 100% instead of letting it sleep.

Good spot!
    I wonder.. I have a moto 360 watch that is probably hindering that some amount, but there was a good week or more before the battery became this bad.

ongarite wrote: »

I have this issue too. How to I fix it?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

My battery certainly isn't great, but I make sure I'm never that far from a charger. Have a cable at work and portable batteries in case I'm travelling for a few hours where I'll be using the phone a lot. If I was using it for 2.5 hours solid browsing or watching something the battery would drain pretty much fully.

I still love the phone, but the battery was always a weak point.

5starpool wrote: »
    My battery certainly isn't great, but I make sure I'm never that far from a charger. Have a cable at work and portable batteries in case I'm travelling for a few hours where I'll be using the phone a lot. If I was using it for 2.5 hours solid browsing or watching something the battery would drain pretty much fully.

I still love the phone, but the battery was always a weak point.

I've spent the evening researching this issue and does seem worth your while to manage your phone better. For example uninstalling or disabling unused apps saves on CPU usage and thus saves battery.

Two apps I found help here:

Clean Master
    Battery Doctor

Take some time with them and they do help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

No issues here, but id be doing a factory reset and do a full charge/discharge and check it again. On a side note we should see a noticeable improvement in battery life with L launching shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Saipanne wrote: »
    I've spent the evening researching this issue and does seem worth your while to manage your phone better. For example uninstalling or disabling unused apps saves on CPU usage and thus saves battery.

Two apps I found help here:

Clean Master
    Battery Doctor

Take some time with them and they do help.

These type of apps were used widely in the early days of Android, they don't have much use since Jellybean launched - anything them apps do usually can be found in the phone options.

Fieldog wrote: »
    These type of apps were used widely in the early days of Android, they don't have much use since Jellybean launched - anything them apps do usually can be found in the phone options.

Not on mine. Just a single power saver button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

use Greenify, stop all those poxy wakelocks

battery saver apps just dont work

kingtiger wrote: »
    use Greenify, stop all those poxy wakelocks

battery saver apps just dont work

I tried that and it said I needed to root my phone. I'm kind of wary of bricking my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I tried that and it said I needed to root my phone. I'm kind of wary of bricking my phone.

almost impossible to do, use Wugfresh Nexus toolkit, its does everything for you

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

kingtiger wrote: »
    almost impossible to do, use Wugfresh Nexus toolkit, its does everything for you

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Mine is a Desire 601. There seems to be lots of options, but hard to know which to trust.

I should report that since using the apps I mentioned to remove or disable unused apps, my battery life has been greatly extended. I'm usually down to 30% by now, but I'm at 70%.

I should report that since using the apps I mentioned to remove or disable unused apps, my battery life has been greatly extended. I'm usually down to 30% by now, but I'm at 70%.

This thread is for a Nexus 5, not a HTC....

There is no bloatware on the Nexus other than Google's own -

HTC have a lot of apps and sync stuff that has to be turned off to preserve battery life, with stock android - its not as much...

Fieldog wrote: »
    This thread is for a Nexus 5, not a HTC....

There is no bloatware on the Nexus other than Google's own -

HTC have a lot of apps and sync stuff that has to be turned off to preserve battery life, with stock android - its not as much...

But I was right though.

• Advertisement

But I was right though.

Maybe for your own phone... (which isn't the subject of this thread)

This is a Nexus 5 thread - not a thread about how YOU get battery life out of your HTC Phone... :)

There is no by the book "this is how I will use my phone today" rule of thumb that we can all adhere to - everyone's mileage varies daily, what worked for you may or may not work for other's phones - just because it is android does not equate to "it all works the same"

Advertisement