Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating leaving Cert

Options
  • 06-10-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I hope that i can get some clarification on this, other threads touch on it but are quite vague. I am thinking of repeating certain subjects from my leaving cert. I understand that it is my best score from one "sitting" that counts but my question is this.

If I was to repeat 4 subjects and get all A1's would this score (400 points) count as my leaving cert result if it was greater than my result first time around.

Also, as a Caveat. For the purposes of admission to University or primary teaching, if one of these subjects was not Irish can I still use my result from Irish the first time round to satisfy the requirement to have passed Irish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 STP50

Yes

Your entry requirements for both university and the course may be met from combined leaving certs (with the exception of medicine).
    If you met the requirements for Irish in your first leaving cert you do not need to repeat it. Lots of people repeat Irish on its own in order to meet the requirement for primary teaching where they already have enough points.

Your Points are calculated for a single sitting of the leaving certificate.
    If you repeat you should take the subjects you have the best possibility to achieve a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hogabear

Thanks STP50

Do you know if there is a minimum number of subjects that must be taken? I have read in some places that a minimum of 6 is required but other sources say that there is no minimum.

Any clarification would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 OscarXC7

You can take as little or as many subjects as you like. People often take just one subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 STP50

NCCA base lC is 5 subjects of which one must be Irish.

University entry requirements expect six subjects with subject requirements often including english, irish, modern language and sometines Maths. A minimum of 2 required at honors level.
    If you meed these requirements from your first leaving certificate you can repeat as many subject as you see fit on the second sitting.
    However points are counted over best of six subjects in a single sitting- most people recommend a minimum of 6 subjects.

What subjects have you already covered and what are you proposing to repeat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Aislingmm

Hi all. I have just completed my L.C. but unfortunately i didnt get my points , i feel the points i got dont truely reflect my ability and so i would like to repeat.

I want primary school teaching and i know that it has a requirement of a C3 in irish englisha nd a D3 in h.level maths (if doing so ) . i obtained these requirements this year but i dont want to do english if i repeat.

The course is completely different in the sense that i will have to learn 8 new poets, a new film , play , novel and shakepearain drama .

So my question is : Can i repeat my leaving cert and just do pass english and keep my previous years requirement of a C3 and still get accepted into my course ?

My only other option is to do arts for 4 years and hope for the best that i get accepted to do a post grad .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Aislingmm wrote: »
    Hi all. I have just completed my L.C. but unfortunately i didnt get my points , i feel the points i got dont truely reflect my ability and so i would like to repeat.

I want primary school teaching and i know that it has a requirement of a C3 in irish englisha nd a D3 in h.level maths (if doing so ) . i obtained these requirements this year but i dont want to do english if i repeat.

The course is completely different in the sense that i will have to learn 8 new poets, a new film , play , novel and shakepearain drama .

So my question is : Can i repeat my leaving cert and just do pass english and keep my previous years requirement of a C3 and still get accepted into my course ?

My only other option is to do arts for 4 years and hope for the best that i get accepted to do a post grad .

You can repeat your LC and not do English, Irish or maths at all, unless you want them for points. So if you have six other subjects, you can simply not register for or sit English.

The only time you have to redo the minimum entry requirement subjects (like maths or Irish to a certain grade) is if you repeat to get into Medicine courses.

Advertisement