Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate and Irish Online newspapers spoilers

Options
  • 06-10-2014 7:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

ffs they are at it again.

is what happened to Nidge last night really front page news?
    do they not get the majority of people are streaming their TV these days??

bury the spoiler in culture section and its my fault if i come across it.

Last year i stopped reading the indo cause they were doing it(for other reasons i removed the indo fro my favs) and now the IT is at it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

RTE will do everything they can to promote it.

Can't blame them to be fair. It's really the only decent thing they have ever produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,457 ✭✭✭✭ted1

yankinlk wrote: »

Last year i stopped reading the indo cause they were doing it.

It's gone totally tabloid, best thing you ever did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's really the only decent thing they have ever produced.

False, Reeling In The Years is petty good.

And their football coverage is second to none.

False, Reeling In The Years is petty good.

And their football coverage is second to none.

Reeling in the years is the most popular programme they have I believe.

But it's hardly original to throw together nostalgic clips and music.

GAA coverage is spectacular but the football is the reason for that.

Soccer, debatable. The three wise men offer no analysis and Dunphy is well, Dunphy.

But for original programming I don't think there is anything comparable in their history.

The RTE way is to throw money at pretty mediocre Irish comedians and pray something half decent comes out of it.

This was an accidental hit, but you have to give credit where it is due.

I meant "soccer" when I said football, not into gah at all, so never watch that.

Your opinion on the panel for Soccer is fair enough, but they are better than the sycophantic imbeciles on the British coverage.

I take your point though, it's probably the best Drama that's ever been on RTE. Probably the best comedy too, truth be told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I meant "soccer" when I said football, not into gah at all, so never watch that.

Your opinion on the panel for Soccer is fair enough, but they are better than the sycophantic imbeciles on the British coverage.

I take your point though, it's probably the best Drama that's ever been on RTE. Probably the best comedy too, truth be told.

Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher are the best around.

Giles and Dunphy used to do stuff like that twenty years ago but they have lost it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The radio doing the papers this morning blabbed out a pretty big spoiler then went "ooops". Gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

With any popular 'water cooler' show, you have to watch it at the time. You can't expect people to tip toe around you until you get to watch it. Unfair, but that's just how it is.

Mr E wrote: »
    With any popular 'water cooler' show, you have to watch it at the time. You can't expect people to tip toe around you until you get to watch it. Unfair, but that's just how it is.

Agreed, bit different if it's stuff airing in America, or even on Sky Atlantic - but for things like Love/Hate (or, for example, Broadchurch) that air at our own prime time, then if you don't want it spoilered, then just watch it - or else don't listen to radio stations where idiots work.

Now, papers spoiling stuff before it's aired, that's pure wankerism on the part of the editors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Mr E wrote: »

I have to disagree. At my water cooler... no one and i mean no one is watching the same stuff. There is maybe one or two (in say a group of 8) that are watching the same show, but never on the same episode. There is just too much content now.

Unless its Sports...

• Advertisement

I have to disagree. At my water cooler... no one and i mean no one is watching the same stuff. There is maybe one or two (in say a group of 8) that are watching the same show, but never on the same episode. There is just too much content now.

Unless its Sports...

or L/H - in fairness, nearly a million people watched it last night, that's 1 in 5 Irish people.

Factor out kids and the elderly who don't work, you're probably talking 1 in 3.5 adults watched it last night, certainly enough to assume that you are going to hear conversations about it when out and about, or in the canteen, or at a neighbouring desk in work, see posts on Social Media and hear radio presenters talking about it.

or L/H - in fairness, nearly a million people watched it last night, that's 1 in 5 Irish people..

Straw poll at my work says not one in 5.... but hey we had a storm power outage so many will catch up tonight.

I wonder how they get their viewing numbers, and can they determine the diaspora that use VPN to stream it outside of Ireland?? I think not.

L/H to be fair, is as good (if not actually better) than both Sopranos and The Wire.

L/H to be fair, is as good (if not actually better) than both Sopranos and The Wire.

I know it's an opinion but I am disagreeing with you on that. It's a great show but well below the level of the two you mention.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I know it's an opinion but I am disagreeing with you on that. It's a great show but well below the level of the two you mention.

yeah. prolly a pointless debate... but ....

The Wire... very very accurate portrayal of a local Baltimore accent, with a fantasy storyline that had each season unique enough to the next to make it must see tv. similarities to LH for sure. if RTE is not marketing to stateside then sack the people in charge of that cuz its worth a fortune.

Sopranos... loved it but it had too much crazy and tons of soap opera... so probably less comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

Not worried about spoliers in todays papers because I saw it last night, but I do find it very irritating that the papers are reporting this fictional series as if it's actual news. Two full colour pages in the Star today with a blow by blow account of last nights episode, complete with pictures. It is a good series (though not even close to the Wire - the greatest TV drama ever) but this kind of stuff is completely ott.

if RTE is not marketing to stateside then sack the people in charge of that cuz its worth a fortune

It's on Netflix stateside. I believe ITV Studios handles international sales

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

the majority of people aren't streaming/downloading their TV at all, traditional TV is still most peoples preferred choice.
    & most don't care about spoilers either, saying it even enhances viewing

the papers, well they're just doing it to sell papers, surprise surprise.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    the majority of people aren't streaming/downloading their TV at all, traditional TV is still most peoples preferred choice.

is this a fact, or are u making up a statistic?

are more people still watching live, as its broadcast tv? with commercials?

My UPC player crashed when I tried to watch it on the ipad so was forced to watch it on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

F^*{ing Star newspaper. Just been to the shop and major spoiler for the show on the front of the paper. Couldn't avoid seeing it in the queue for the till.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

F**king star is right,what's the point in putting huge spoilers across the front of the paper.

A**holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just saw that earlier as well.

Total disgrace. Half the front page is devoted to spoiling next weeks episode.

Why? I don't get why they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yep, saw it on TV3 when they were reviewing the papers this morning. Bloody rag.

cheers for the warning anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

no i wasn't making it up :pac: never got the whole lying to complete, faceless, strangers to make a point/píss them off thing. seen it somewhere just recently, why i mentioned it.
    catch up services & netflixs, all OTT content, while growing in popularity, aren't taking over. they're more a compliment, an add-on to traditional TV.

I'd agree with Mr E about watching it at the time. when a show gets to a certain popularity, like Love/Hate has now in Ireland or Breaking Bad did, GOT, whatever, you need to treat them as a live show, live sport, who watches or can avoid hearing about a sporting event 2/3/4+ days after?
    the internet, the medium that makes it easy to watch a show when you want is also the one making it hardest to avoid info on it :D

http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/you-wont-believe-how-big-tv-still-156039
    There are 283 million television viewers monthly (the population of the United States is 313 million), each watching an average of 146 hours of TV. Compare that with 155 million online video viewers averaging just shy of six hours monthly on mobile and almost six and a half hours over the Web. So while TV’s audience is still almost twice that of digital video, the amount of money in digital isn’t even 5 percent of the mammoth $74 billion chunk of change in television.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/reports/2013/a-look-across-media-the-cross-platform-report-q3-2013.html
    A Year in Consumption

As we continue to examine the similarities and differences between radio listeners, digital consumers and television viewers, we keep building a total view of daily media consumption. Is the composition of the audio audience more like the online and mobile audience or more like the traditional television viewer?
    X%20platform.png

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/our_hunger_for_technology_ireland_emerges_as_a_nation_of_bingers/
    The in-depth, bi-annual nationwide household survey of more than 1,100 Irish people reveals that nine out of 10 adults (91%) still watch TV on their TV set and 92%* of that TV is actually watched live (though the perception is that it is less, at 71%). However, the shift to watching live and “catch up” TV on portable devices is happening daily amongst the younger cohort, with half of all 16-34 year olds watching live or “catch up” TV on portable devices, shunning the traditional TV set.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Get real. Nowhere near either of those shows on any level. Production value, scale, characters, writing. It's an entertaining hour on Rte every week. But the writing is ropey and the characters are fairly one dimensional. Don't seem to have any consistency.

Sopranos changed television, and the wire perfected it.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I still remember RTE and the big clanging spoiler about Phil Leotardo in the final series of The Sporanos when they showed it in the promo for that episode.That kind of thing pees me off no end especially when they practicly tell you about a major character getting killed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

lertsnim wrote: »
    It's on Netflix stateside.

And, bizarrely, disappears every time a new season airs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement