Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smolov jr unexpected pain +meet week advices

Options
  • 05-10-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

So just ran my first ever round of smolov jr or any high volume programme for that matter . Im attending the bench nationals in a weeks time so to make weight iv dropped a couple of kg while running smolov jr ( maybe not the smartest idea but needs must ) and was expecting to maybe experience a shoulder issue but instead I got quite badly bruised in the breasticles area (sternum) anyone else get this? Also my plan is to hit a heavy double tomorrow and deload for the rest of the week does this sound like a plan?

Any advices from the meet week vets appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Squatman

id leave it at that, see how you recover, if bruising goes away, you could do some recreational benching on wed/thursday, if not, id either do the comp as is, or not at all,.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Squatman wrote: »
    id leave it at that, see how you recover, if bruising goes away, you could do some recreational benching on wed/thursday, if not, id either do the comp as is, or not at all,.

Thanks man . Im not terribly worried about the bruising affecting my meet as its subsiding already. So that aside id be better off just deloading instead of handling heavy weight today then deloading til Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Squatman

if it was me id wait till wednesday, work up to opener, for a few fast singles, and leave it at that

Squatman wrote: »
    if it was me id wait till wednesday, work up to opener, for a few fast singles, and leave it at that

Sounds good thanks man.j

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Imma reopen this...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sounds like you are dive bombing it and rebounding hard off chest?

In comp you'll have to pause on your chest, so perhaps try pausing everything next cycle post comp and see if that helps.

BossArky wrote: »
    Sounds like you are dive bombing it and rebounding hard off chest?

In comp you'll have to pause on your chest, so perhaps try pausing everything next cycle post comp and see if that helps.

Iv been pausing all my bench's for over a year now. However when I get near my max or I get fatigued I do have a tendency to let the eccentric move very fast. Here's my very last set of smolov .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Didn't you mention elsewhere, a tendency to let the bar sink a bit into the chest. That combined with the volume on smolov jr might of caused some bruising.

Mellor wrote: »
    Didn't you mention elsewhere, a tendency to let the bar sink a bit into the chest. That combined with the volume on smolov jr might of caused some bruising.

Yea your exactly right. I probably shouldnt have expected anything less to be fair with my bench style plus smolov jr. Kinda panicked at the time with the meet so close but its all but cleared up so just lookin forward to Saturday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Best of luck for Saturday. I'll be interested to see how you go.
    What's your planned opener?

• Advertisement

Best of luck for Saturday. I'll be interested to see how you go.
    What's your planned opener?

Thanks man. I plan to open at 110kg which should fly up just to get a feel for it and some confidence in the situation and the commands etc.

I'll be interested to see how you go.

I went 3 for 3. 9 white lights and took gold in the 82.5kg class.. :D thanks for the advices guys

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

dor843088 wrote: »
    I went 3 for 3. 9 white lights and took gold in the 82.5kg class.. :D thanks for the advices guys

What lifts you get? Sounds like at least one PR!

Congrats

What lifts you get? Sounds like at least one PR!

Congrats
    Thanks man . 115, 125, 135. I guess part of the skill of competing is calling your next attempt because I reckon I left major kilos on the platform . Ill post the last attempt in the lifting leaderboard and you can make up your own mind. Kind of embarrassing really, I had several competitors and referees comment on it and the only reason I went for 135 was a ref told me id be mad to choose anything lower :o

Thanks man . 115, 125, 135. I guess part of the skill of competing is calling your next attempt because I reckon I left major kilos on the platform . Ill post the last attempt in the lifting leaderboard and you can make up your own mind. Kind of embarrassing really, I had several competitors and referees comment on it and the only reason I went for 135 was a ref told me id be mad to choose anything lower :o

Great stuff man. What was the PR before?

First comp...probably seemed like too a big jump. You'll know for next time when you're topping those!

Great stuff man. What was the PR before?

First comp...probably seemed like too a big jump. You'll know for next time when you're topping those!

Yea hindsight is a wonderful thing. I was repping my first attempt in the warm up room but I had In my head I was going to get a ton of red lights or I was going to jump a command or something under pressure lol.

Yea hindsight is a wonderful thing. I was repping my first attempt in the warm up room but I had In my head I was going to get a ton of red lights or I was going to jump a command or something under pressure lol.

Well, I would be opening with nothing less than 127.5 anyway having seen how easy the 135 looked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

How much did you get out of Smolov? I've heard people say that you can't maintain the strength because you can't maintain the volume that got it for you, I know this matters diddley if you're peaking for a meet but just curious! Impressed by that final lift, you had lots more in ya!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

How much did you get out of Smolov? I've heard people say that you can't maintain the strength because you can't maintain the volume that got it for you, I know this matters diddley if you're peaking for a meet but just curious! Impressed by that final lift, you had lots more in ya!

After any peak comes a drop. You can't peak without losing somethhg.

Hanley wrote: »
    After any peak comes a drop. You can't peak without losing somethhg.

Unless you plateau I suppose. But I know this, I was just asking as to the extent of the drop, if any.

• Advertisement

Its hard to say as I never really hit a one rep max in the gym . However if its numbers you're after my previous best lift in the gym (which I do not believe was my max at the time I definitely had more) was 127.5kg and after smolov jr and other variables I hit an easy 135kg at the meet.

That's a serious increase from a number already that high at 81kg.

That's a serious increase from a number already that high at 81kg.

Yea id probably run it again , but not in a hurry lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Fair play dor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

In competition, do you need all three white lights for it to be a good lift? Or just one?

CWF wrote: »
    In competition, do you need all three white lights for it to be a good lift? Or just one?

Three judges; judge thinks it's a good lift, it's a white. Otherwise red. So 2 or 3 white lights needed for a good lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭abstrakt82

do you think there;s any point running smolov jr for bodybuilding, if you're not able to hold on to the strength after it finishes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

abstrakt82 wrote: »
    do you think there;s any point running smolov jr for bodybuilding, if you're not able to hold on to the strength after it finishes?

First part - no.

Second part - you don't "lose" the strength. But after every peak comes a slight drop. Otherwise it wouldn't be a peak.

Advertisement