Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heating an apartment with no chimney.

Options
  • 05-10-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

That time of year again. We have no chimney and we're not allowed install a stove with pipe. we have storage heaters but they are useless and fairly expensive. any ways of heating the place without huge electricity bills? We have an oil filled electric rad but its expensive to run. Have supersers gotten any better ( less fumey). Don't want a cold winter ahead of us

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Your stuck with electric. So I'd ask on the electrical forum.

I hate and dread supersers.
    Gas bottle indoors !
    No chimney !
    No ventilation !

Breaks every common sense rule IMHO

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

With those restrictions, you are probably best off with your storage heaters. I assume that they run on night rate. Close the vents off until you are in the appartment. If it gets cold towards bedtime, you may have no option but to supplement your heating with an oil filled rad or just a regular 2 bar reflector. Like scudo, I would not use a superser unless absolutely no other option and then never without a regularly tested Carbon monoxide alarm.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Timfy

Google flueless gas fires, if you have a gas supply that is :-)

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

Found a flueless gas stove. I have a carbon monoxide detector already as we had a super ser last year but it had a funny smell so no good. what would I require to ensure good airflow etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

bazery wrote: »
    Found a flueless gas stove. I have a carbon monoxide detector already as we had a super ser last year but it had a funny smell so no good. what would I require to ensure good airflow etc

Where in the name of god did you find it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

The ventilation requirements will come with appliance instructions.
    Most people don't like that much ventilation as they feel it defeats the purpose of the heater. You have to abide by those recommendations or you will put your life in danger.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Where in the name of god did you find it?

thegascompany.ie have loads

should be moving away from that sort of craic. :(

Burnley one on done deal. Might have a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

have you looked at halogen heaters? can be cheaper than the oil filled rads and heat the room up fairly quickly we used use them in our old apartment when it had storage heaters.

http://www.donedeal.ie/heating-for-sale/gas-stove/7725097

looking at this guy. apparently uses a catalytic converter, so no fumes. the actual kw is 3.5 but he listed it at 4.9. could i hook it up to a gas bottle

• Advertisement

http://www.donedeal.ie/heating-for-sale/gas-stove/7725097

looking at this guy. apparently uses a catalytic converter, so no fumes. the actual kw is 3.5 but he listed it at 4.9. could i hook it up to a gas bottle

So standing between you and certain death is a little filter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A catalytic converter or whatever it is won't protect you from carbon monoxide poisoning. Any sort of combustion inside the building carries this risk. The more modern and sealed-up your building is, the greater the risk.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is no joke. This is a very bad way to try to save money.

The rules of the apartment block or the lease may prohibit you from heating with gas (and rightly so).

If you are renting and the apartment is too cold, I would suggest moving somewhere else. If you are an owner, I would suggest secondary glazing. Draughtproofing might help in either case (but don't do this if you are going to use any sort of combustion appliance).

these have been deemed perfectly safe with a vent nearby, which one will be. i have a carbon monoxide detector. "certain death" is a bit extreme

these have been deemed perfectly safe with a vent nearby, which one will be. i have a carbon monoxide detector. "certain death" is a bit extreme

No it's not extreme at all

Well that's flueless gas system off the table then. Been looking at every avenue. Even these white bar things that are normally used for greenhouses. Even considered building a rocket Stove and routing the exhaust through the wall. And up the side of the apartment.

Sorry if my last comment seemed a bit flippant. I can't understand how something that dangerous is still widely available

Well that's flueless gas system off the table then. Been looking at every avenue. Even these white bar things that are normally used for greenhouses. Even considered building a rocket Stove and routing the exhaust through the wall. And up the side of the apartment.

Sorry if my last comment seemed a bit flippant. I can't understand how something that dangerous is still widely available

Neither can I. Shur there still letting politicians run the country aren't they!!

Advertisement