Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring teak veneer coffee table

Options
  • 05-10-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've been working on this 40 year old coffee table that was being chucked. The finish was destroyed after spending years in a shed as a bench. You can see bad water marks and maybe rot in the first picture where paint can and other stuff were sitting on it.

I sanded back through the finish carefully with 80 then, 120 and finally 400 grade paper. I'm happy with the result so far. But if you look at the second photo you can still see a faint ring from the worst damage. I circled it in orange in both photos. I'm looking for advice on what to do next. Ideally I would like that ring gone but I don't want to risk sanding the veneer any thinner. Should I just live with it and start applying teak oil now?
    Or maybe stain the table to cover the damage and then apply teak oil?
    Also, the legs are also grubby looking but they are not of the same fine veneer material, I don't know what they are other than to say they are a match in colour for the top. I started to sand a little on an inside bit but it looks like it is scratching rather than sanding if you know what I mean. So I stopped. Any suggestions what the wood might be and how best I should work on that?

Appreciate any advice! Thanks.

5djcqq.jpg

343qfdi.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

the dark mark that is left is an iron stain these are hard to remove but can be removed with oxalic acid. it comes in a powder which is mixed with hot water and brushed on the stain . be careful if using it as it is poisonous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks Daithi. In the end I stained it and I'm on coat 3 of teak oil. It's coming up lovely.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

Will you stick up some photos of the finished article, there's a lovely grain on it?

Just gave it a final oil today and giving it a wax tonight. I'll try stick a photo up when it's done. Left the stain on a little too long and it's darker than it should be for teak but considering it was getting smashed up I'm happy with it.

Here you go, legs still need some work ...

rv9ilj.jpg

2z9ftkj.jpg

w9bswy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

Very nice work, love that design of furniture, timeless in my opinion.

Totally agree. It was pride and joy when we were kids. So I'm glad to use it again and it still looks great. Pity I didn't manage to get the 'orange' colour right but there you go. Think I over waxed it. Taking a good while to get the shine to come up evenly.

Advertisement