Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance help please?

Options
  • 04-10-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

so i've got my provisional early this year and started a new jobs and need a car to get to work insurance is my biggest problem. i plan to go a policy with my grandad being the policy holder and me being a named driver. my question(s) are, can my grandad have a policy on his own car and have another on a different car? can he use his no claims policy on two policy's?/ or can he only use it on one policy? cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dayvidh wrote: »
    so i've got my provisional early this year and started a new jobs and need a car to get to work insurance is my biggest problem. i plan to go a policy with my grandad being the policy holder and me being a named driver. my question(s) are, can my grandad have a policy on his own car and have another on a different car? can he use his no claims policy on two policy's?/ or can he only use it on one policy? cheers

No he can't use his no claims on two cars, he will have to start fresh, and it will probably cost as much as you getting your own insurance.

Get your own insurance and start building up NCB for yourself.

Are you planning to drive to work on your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dayvidh

Stheno wrote: »
    No he can't use his no claims on two cars, he will have to start fresh, and it will probably cost as much as you getting your own insurance.

Get your own insurance and start building up NCB for yourself.

Are you planning to drive to work on your own?

yeah i was looking at my own policy it would cost 3500€ a year its far to expensive for me atm
    and yes and no about driving by my self i know if im on my own im not covered am i right?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

yeah i was looking at my own policy it would cost 3500€ a year its far to expensive for me atm
    and yes and no about driving by my self i know if im on my own im not covered am i right?

Getting another person as the main person on the policy is called fronting and insurance companies are well copped to it, so you'll just have to cough up the 3.5k

Not sure if you are not covered, but it's illegal and if the cops get you, it's a 1k fine iirc

Getting another person as the main person on the policy is called fronting and insurance companies are well copped to it, so you'll just have to cough up the 3.5k

Not sure if you are not covered, but it's illegal and if the cops get you, it's a 1k fine iirc

so whats the point of named drivers then if you just get caught? ive got a mate who's on his mums insurance on a punto and he didn't have any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

so whats the point of named drivers then if you just get caught? ive got a mate who's on his mums insurance on a punto and he didn't have any problems?

Named drivers are intended as people that occasionally drive the car. The main driver of the car is supposed to be the policy holder.

Just because your friend is getting away with it, doesn't mean it's not illegal.

• Advertisement

Has he tried to claim for an accident yet?

Named drivers are intended as people that occasionally drive the car. The main driver of the car is supposed to be the policy holder.

Just because your friend is getting away with it, doesn't mean it's not illegal.

yeah but i wont be the car owner the policy holder will own the car which he does.. its in his name,...

Has he tried to claim for an accident yet?
    no not yet he's got a punto his mum is the car owner he is a named driver who drives to work on saturdays is that still illegal?

Advertisement