Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Panel beater

Options
  • 04-10-2014 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭

I stupidly reversed into a pole earlier its a saloon toyota avensis,im wondering if anyone could shed some light on how much id be looking at to fix it, the bumper also has a crack in it so would need repair too
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

To the OP, I'm not going to lie. It wont be cheap. The quarter panel is distorted rather than dented. It'll have to be pulled on a dozer ( a large lever type contraption used in panel beating.) The reason for the high cost would be down to the amount of time needed to repair the car.

Here's a video of a slightly similar repair, though the damage to this car is wiorse than your own. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxC_DeD7OK0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

OP - bumper can be plastic welded, I'd budget on 200-250 for a good job on the it including full paint.

It looks like there is a crease in the quarter panel too, which PDR won't be able to fix. I don't think you'll get away without paint on the panel (I'm not an expert!) but again I'd budget about 300.

Silver paint in a pain to match - so it will be blended in with the surrounding panels somethings which adds a bit of money to the job.

I've used these guys for lots of work and have always been happy - they also have a rough price list guide which might help.

http://carcraft.ie/price-list.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

kdevitt wrote: »

OP - bumper can be plastic welded, I'd budget on 200-250 for a good job on the it including full paint.

It looks like there is a crease in the quarter panel too, which PDR won't be able to fix. I don't think you'll get away without paint on the panel (I'm not an expert!) but again I'd budget about 300.

Silver paint in a pain to match - so it will be blended in with the surrounding panels somethings which adds a bit of money to the job.

Had two quotes today both at €450 all in then a third guy at €1500 basically he said it was a write off cat D loss from an insurance point of view what ever that means
    It was only a small bang noting major so I don't know what he was talking about

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Unhelpful posts removed.

fmcg_scribe, do not post in this thread again. Do so, and you'll be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

spider_pig wrote: »
    Had two quotes today both at €450 all in then a third guy at €1500 basically he said it was a write off cat D loss from an insurance point of view what ever that means

Cat d write off is where the cost to repair a car doesn't make economic sense.
    Insurance companies will write off most old cars that have had a tip as cat d.
    Nothing wrong with the car in question, but to the insurer it's cheaper to pay you the value of the car than pay to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I would say E450 is very cheap and the quality of work would most likely match the price. The car would probably look presentable but it would be obvious to anybody who looked carefully that it had a tip.
    My best guess would have been 1K + for a good job.

Cat d write off is where the cost to repair a car doesn't make economic sense.
    Insurance companies will write off most old cars that have had a tip as cat d.
    Nothing wrong with the car in question, but to the insurer it's cheaper to pay you the value of the car than pay to fix it.

Ah I see, the car it self is valued at just over 5 grand its a 2007 avensis, I got a shock him telling me it's basically a write off with the bit of damage that's done. It was only a small bang into a pole that caused it.

spider_pig wrote: »

I don't think the 450 is too far off to be honest - more or less in line with what I would expect. There's economies of scale at play when painting more than one panel.

The category D write-off comment is a moot point - presuming you're not putting it through the insurance - it makes no difference. My brothers BMW cabrio would have been a class D due to a broken drivers window!

kdevitt wrote: »
    I don't think the 450 is too far off to be honest - more or less in line with what I would expect. There's economies of scale at play when painting more than one panel.

The category D write-off comment is a moot point - presuming you're not putting it through the insurance - it makes no difference. My brothers BMW cabrio would have been a class D due to a broken drivers window!

I originally thought Id be getting quotes like the first one €1500. I'm happy enough with the €450, it really pays to shop around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement