Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapering too early...

Options
  • 04-10-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Guy, Im looking for some advice please...

this week has been a bit of a disaster training wise for me, Im feeling more tired than normal and a bit of general burn out...I've only managed 20miles so far and nothing longer than 6m.

I didn't run yesterday and decided to rest up today in the hope that I can be fresh for tomorrows 19m lsr.
    Im worried that this week could turn into a 4 week taper.
    What should I aim for next week? I had planned to keep the mileage up at least close to my peak at 52m? and would a 3 week taper be better than the 2 week I had planned?
    But then I will have 4 relatively low mileage weeks back to back before the race..would that be a problem?

the last few weeks have been:
    this week should be 39m
    last week 52m
    27m(incl full effort Dublin half @ 1.34)
    52m
    48m

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Whats your sleep like ? Whats your diet like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

ger664 wrote: »
    Whats your sleep like ? Whats your diet like ?

sleep is generally good 7 - 8 hrs. busy week this week with work, travel and early starts etc
    Diet is generally good,
    porridge breakfast, wrap or salad lunch, evening varies - some evenings I just graze on a selection of oat cakes and peanut butter, breadsticks, fruit, yoghurt etc but I will always get a few good diners in a week, ie steak and spuds, makerel with kale, pasta etc

I find it hard to resist a choc bar(or two) at work in the afternoons, I have tried to substitute with trail mix or choc rice cakes but have overdosed on both and cant look at them now..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

What was your week after the half marathon like? Thats a tough course and you'd need a week of easy running to get over a race like that.
    If you're feeling zonked then rest up. Dont worry about a 4 week taper, its fine. I did 4 weeks last year and I got to the start line feeling very fresh and strong. Its 3 weeks to go basically at this stage so whatever work you've done is where youre at, youre not gonna get any fitter by forcing yourself to train when youre body is cooked. Forget about running a 19 miler, that'll just kill you off for sure.
    Rest and then do some easy low mileage when you feel ok again.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

tunguska wrote: »
    What was your week after the half marathon like? Thats a tough course and you'd need a week of easy running to get over a race like that.
    If you're feeling zonked then rest up. Dont worry about a 4 week taper, its fine. I did 4 weeks last year and I got to the start line feeling very fresh and strong. Its 3 weeks to go basically at this stage so whatever work you've done is where youre at, youre not gonna get any fitter by forcing yourself to train when youre body is cooked. Forget about running a 19 miler, that'll just kill you off for sure.
    Rest and then do some easy low mileage when you feel ok again.

cheers, think you might have hit the nail on the head - the week after the half was my peak mileage at 52, this year I have gone over 50 in my marathon training for the first time too
    I felt fine, took an extra days rest on the Monday and went back to full training...not the smartest in hindsight, I already have 4 x 18+ LSR's in since early sept, so think that's good advice about the 19...

Advertisement