Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distant Voices, Still Lives (1988)

Options
  • 04-10-2014 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Recently watched Terrence Davies' debut film Distant Voices, Still Lives, which came third in Time Out magazine's poll of the 100 Best British Films in 2011 (beaten only by Don't Look Now and The Third Man in first and second place, respectively).

It's an unusual film. Despite its brief running time (85 minutes) it has the breadth of a much longer work. It doesn't have a traditional narrative, per se; more of a collection of brief, almost dreamlike episodes, told in non-chronological order, concerning a family in Liverpool in the 1940s and 1950s. Pete Postlethwaite plays the patriarch, a man prone to violence against his wife and children.

It's quite an evocative film, its actors reflecting the ordinary people of England, rather than the heartthrobs and starlets seen to represent England in the eyes of Hollywood and the world. So, too, does its dialogue, peppered with words and phrases like "me dad", "dirty mare" and "gobshi-e". Much of the film is comprised of its characters singing standards in the pubs of Liverpool. There are visually startling moments - the use of shadows in a scene involving a power cut in which the children's Grandmother's reflection emerges from darkness to tell them, "if you look into a mirror after midnight, you'll see the devil", or the sight of several Liverpudlians puffing on cigarettes in a crowded cinema.

Has anyone else seen Distant Voices, Still Lives, and if so, what did they think?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah it’s brilliant. It's actually two short films shot two years apart, but you can’t really tell. I’d rank Davies up there with the Archers as one of the greatest British directors of all time. A genius and visual virtuoso. His autobiographical films pack quite an emotional wallop. He really lays his soul bare in them.

Make sure you check out his other films as well. Especially Trilogy, Of Time and the City and The Long Day Closes as they are his most personal. The latter is probably is his masterpiece. The Neon Bible, The House of Mirth and The Deep Blue Sea are good too, but no where near as powerful as his autobiographical films and they work better if you are familiar with his earlier work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 obrogair

Hi--my first post.

I agree that it's brilliant and extremely evocative. The songs sung by family and friends together throughout are beautiful--the actors are clearly moved by their own recollections of that generation. I remember the cinema scene vividly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Don't really have much to add other than I think it's great too and thanks for reminding me of him, his films are perfect for this time of the year!

Advertisement