Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Replacement phone; Root missing when trying to update

Options
  • 03-10-2014 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. I just got a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 replacement phone from Vodafone and I just tried to update it. It rebooted into that update 'console like' screen(not sure what to call it) and it was saying root was missing or something. I immediately backed out of it because I knew rooting was something I didn't want so I wasn't sure what to do on that screen. A little annoying as now that I go to the update in settings, I have to redownload the update.

Anyway, before I go to the console thing screen, what is wrong and what should I do? There was an option to root the device I think? I can't really remember. If I don't get a response, I will get a picture of the screen.

Thanks in advance for all your time and help. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Googling shows me that this is linked to the process of 'rooting' the phone. Seems like the replacement phone isn't brand new then, am I right?

Here's a pic:

The device restarted when I left it in the state I had it on in that picture. Then when it restarted, there was a popup that said try updating with Samsung Kies. So I did. The process happened and now it's stuck on 'RECOVERY BOOTING...' screen with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 logo in the middle.

Not really sure what to do..

Edit: Tried some 'tricks' that I found online. I got into download mode by holding power, volume down, and home button then pressed 'cancel(volume down)' to let it reboot normally, but even after that, it got stuck in the logo screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

depends how you got the replacement phone, is it a big store? i would have brought it back straight away if you could. and i certainly wouldnt put your own stuff on it just in case

daytob wrote: »
    depends how you got the replacement phone, is it a big store? i would have brought it back straight away if you could. and i certainly wouldnt put your own stuff on it just in case

I don't mind the stuff it in. It was done through online/call/postage service. Arrived in a vodafone box. Have an invoice here quoting 'Sam Note3 Blk Gr A3'. A rough guess would say that it says Samsung Note 3 Black Grade A3(Shouldn't it be A1 or somethin if it was new? Or maybe it would've quoted Brand New or no grade at all if it was new? I wouldn't know..). That was the second thing that made me think it wasn't a new phone, second to the vodafone box.

By the way, I'm on Bill Pay with Vodafone; with insurance, which is how I got the replacement phone.

EDIT: Just read the big long terms and conditions. Turns out the replacement can be a refurbished phone. Which I don't mind at all. I kind of knew from the box that it wasn't but I ignored it because it was spotless. But it's not functioning properly so it's surely not a sufficient replacement, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

can you ring from it? I am unsure about your insurance as some of them say once it provides the basic service blah blah legal ****e, once it does that its ok, obvs they cant send you a ****ty nokia in place of a note 3, they have to send you one similar but if its rebooting i would get on to them this morning and explain it.

• Advertisement

daytob wrote: »
    can you ring from it? I am unsure about your insurance as some of them say once it provides the basic service blah blah legal ****e, once it does that its ok, obvs they cant send you a ****ty nokia in place of a note 3, they have to send you one similar but if its rebooting i would get on to them this morning and explain it.

Going to carphone warehouse at 9am. No I can't ring it as it's stuck on the Samsung logo so it's pretty much turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

In my experience, when a device gets stuck on the boot screen like that it's because data from a previous install was not wiped.

tallus wrote: »
    In my experience, when a device gets stuck on the boot screen like that it's because data from a previous install was not wiped.

So it was definitely an error of the phone right? Now I just want to confirm that it wasn't my fault this happened. I didn't do anything to the phone except install a few apps from the play store and when we got internet service back(UPC outage), I wanted to update it to the most up-to-date software before doing anything else so I did, and this happened. Am I right in saying that I didn't do anything wrong? :confused:

I just went to a Vodafone store today and they told me I have to contact the insurance and the guy specifically told me that they will just send another one and I will just have to ship them this one. I hope he's right but I will definitely quote him of the insurance company isn't going to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

The phone could have had a custom ROM on it, so when they did a factory reset it just reset to this, and not the official Samsung version. Either way, this isn't your problem, and they shouldn't be sending out phones like this.

Just got off the phone with the insurance company. They arranged a swap out for tomorrow. I kindly asked if there's anyway to do it today and the girl llied a little bit :(

When I called them the first time to replace my phone, the girl said that unfortunately it was too late for the same day delivery option. Now this girl says, unfortunately they don't HAVE a same day delivery option.

Anyway, I don't mind it too much as there wasn't any other hassle but I would've liked them to tell the truth rather than lie. Could've easily told me that my case wasn't an urgent situation or something.

Thanks for all the help guys.

• Advertisement

Glad you got it sorted out.

Bought one myself from adverts.ie last week and it's a fantastic phone.

The phone could have had a custom ROM on it, so when they did a factory reset it just reset to this, and not the official Samsung version. Either way, this isn't your problem, and they shouldn't be sending out phones like this.

Have to agree 100% here, that phone was running a custom recovery.
    Someone definetly messed around with it.
    They certainly don't come with clockwork mod recovery installed.

At least they are sending you a replacement device.

tallus wrote: »
    Have to agree 100% here, that phone was running a custom recovery.
    Someone definetly messed around with it.
    They certainly don't come with clockwork mod recovery installed.

At least they are sending you a replacement device.

Second replacement due to come tomorrow. Could've come today but had to rearrange as I wasn't available. Will update the thread with how the second phone works out. Thanks a lot guys.

Got the replacement just now. Already felt weird when I held the phone. The rear cover is a lot more glossy than the original Note 3(My girlfriend has a Note 3 as well). And inside, the phone is 'Made in Korea' rather than 'Made by Samsung'.

What other differences do you think there are between this replacement phone and original Samsung Galaxy Note 3? I'm not implying that this one is fake as it seems to be okay in terms of software.

Currently downloading software update and noticed that this is a 211mb update rather than the first replacement's 500+mb update.

Again, it is spotless outside. No marks that I can see. Only thing different is that rear cover.

Some scratches on the metal thing at the back of the phone below battery slot.

32GB printed inside on my girlfriend's Note3 and none on mine.

Go into setting and look for s-pen settings, I believe the fakes won't have any. Fakes are made in China, not Korea AFAIK.

Go into setting and look for s-pen settings, I believe the fakes won't have any. Fakes are made in China, not Korea AFAIK.

Thanks. I have the S Pen settings.

At least that confirms that it's genuine. I really don't like the glossy back though. It really looks fake. And it's very stiff too compared to my GF's Note 3 cover.

Anyway, as long as it works properly, I am prepared to let the fake looking rear cover go. I will be updating the phone and update this thread. Thanks a lot yet again.

Swap covers. :D

Swap covers. :D

LOL. She's already making fun of my 'fake samsung'. Which is one of the reasons why I hate the cover :P

Good news, the phone is updating. No custom ROM problems..So far.

Seems like the phone has the newest update now. Maybe this one was a later issue or something as it only needed that 200mb update.

I will now be trying to install the stuff I had on my previous phone.

Advertisement