Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a self monitored alarm

Options
  • 03-10-2014 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi all

I'd like to install a self monitored alarm (notification by either text, call, email, IM), and am wondering what my options are?

Ideally I'd like to get someone to install it for me but would be unsure of who to go to (Based in the south Galway / north Clare region). My house is already wired and ready to go I'm just not sure where to start. (How hard is it to set up considering I would not be great with electrics)

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

peustace wrote: »
    Hi all

I'd like to install a self monitored alarm (notification by either text, call, email, IM), and am wondering what my options are?

Ideally I'd like to get someone to install it for me but would be unsure of who to go to (Based in the south Galway / north Clare region). My house is already wired and ready to go I'm just not sure where to start. (How hard is it to set up considering I would not be great with electrics)

Any suggestions?

I would suggest getting 3 quotes and going through all the options with local installers. Here is a link to the PSA website which will list installers in your area. Most system will give you the functions and options you require. I would just note that texting through your landline is to be stopped soon so I would not advise having this installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Seq uence

I would look at using IP for notifications now rather than voice ot text. These may well incur charges. Most good systems now give you IP access via a smartphone app and/or web browser. These will also give you free notifications by way of push notifications or email. As you would be using your existing data connections there would be no additional charges for alerts.
    Do beware however systems like HKC are using GPRS insted of IP and want to charge annual subscriptions to connect to your own system. Not needed in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely look up the list of suppliers. Any suggestions on good brand names apart from HKC that I could start some of my research?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

peustace wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely look up the list of suppliers. Any suggestions on good brand names apart from HKC that I could start some of my research?

You`re welcome,
    Risco, GSD, SPC to name a few. All these systems offer self monitoring.

Advertisement