Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a safe creatine supplement for bodybuilding

Options
  • 03-10-2014 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

I've been doing a lot of gym work using reasonably heavy weights for my standard. I've been using a whey protein for about 6 months and have decided to step it up a little bit. I've decided to give creatine a go for a month and was wondering can anyone give me some good advice about which form of creatine I should use for safety and maximum results. There are many different types available in health shops etc but I'm looking for feedback on what's the best for a first time user like me. Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Monohydrate and as cheap as you can buy it!
    Just lob some into your whey shake!
    Its safe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I always get Creapure, its plain creatine monohydrate but highest purity sold under different brand names. (I think it comes from a manufacturing lab in Germany)
    most creatine monohydrate today is high quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Monohydrate and as cheap as you can buy it!
    Just lob some into your whey shake!
    Its safe!

Do you throw it in with your protein shake and take it post work-out?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Gerry G wrote: »

Doesn't really matter if you take it before or after but that is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Gerry G wrote: »

It's not a post or pre workout. You're building up creatine levels over time and then just topping up what you lose from workouts after your levels hit 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 GerSmith

I got great benefits from the traditional approach to taking the basic creatine monohydrate (avail via myprotein).

load phase
    maintenance phase

and take for 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

endacl wrote: »
    Steak.

Don't you need about 5kg of red meat a day to get the same amount as one small scoop from mono?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭abstrakt82

creatine monohydrate, the powder form is cheaper than the pills in general too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Does creatine not just bloat you up with water weight or does it actually increase muscle size?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Does creatine not just bloat you up with water weight or does it actually increase muscle size?

i think the science is that it draws water into the muscle at a cellular level, so it doesn't cause bloating

bodybuilding .com/fun/dimaggio2.htm

remove the space

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Personally never liked creatine myself. Never saw any gains from it, 1 a day was well past confortable.

abstrakt82 wrote: »
    i think the science is that it draws water into the muscle at a cellular level, so it doesn't cause bloating

remove the space

Link not working.
    Does that mean that once you stop using it that you decrease muscle size?

Link not working.
    Does that mean that once you stop using it that you decrease muscle size?

you have to remove the space between the dot and com, i can't post links yet

why would you stop taking creatine?

you have to remove the space between the dot and com, i can't post links yet

why would you stop taking creatine?

I don't know. I had to stop taking whey on my doctors advice. He said nobody should be taking it but that's another story.
    I'm just wondering about creatine. You hear so many stories about it. If it's only artificially pumping up muscle with water then why bother. If it's building muscle properly the sure, I'd give it a go

well i think its scientifically proven to make you stronger, so in that case its not really an artificial build up of muscles.

don't know why you should stop taking whey either, as its just a byproduct of cheese. Ok I am not a doctor, but i'd like to hear his reasons for saying you shouldn't take it, as I'm pretty sure he's not a nutritionist.

TBH i've found doctors in this country weird in general when it comes to the subject of lifting weights, I remember my mother trying to discourage me my whole life from working out because the doctor told her it wasn't good for me, would stunt my growth, and all the other nonsense you generally hear.

Now, at 32 years old, compared to a hell of a lot of my peers, I am in much better shape and a lot healthier than them, so am glad i didn't listen to my mother or her doctor

If it's only artificially pumping up muscle with water then why bother. If it's building muscle properly the sure, I'd give it a go

It does neither.

It allows for more ATP availability in the body which should allow more muscular force in contractions. You still have to do the work but it might get you more out of your workout.

But if you're not eating and sleeping right, you're wasting your money buying it.

well i think its scientifically proven to make you stronger, so in that case its not really an artificial build up of muscles.

don't know why you should stop taking whey either, as its just a byproduct of cheese. Ok I am not a doctor, but i'd like to hear his reasons for saying you shouldn't take it, as I'm pretty sure he's not a nutritionist.

TBH i've found doctors in this country weird in general when it comes to the subject of lifting weights, I remember my mother trying to discourage me my whole life from working out because the doctor told her it wasn't good for me, would stunt my growth, and all the other nonsense you generally hear.

Now, at 32 years old, compared to a hell of a lot of my peers, I am in much better shape and a lot healthier than them, so am glad i didn't listen to my mother or her doctor

I did blood tests and my CK levels were through the roof. The doc said it was the whey so I cut it out and re tested 2 weeks later. My bloods were fine then. He said he can't see my reason why people take it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Steak.

What about it?

I did blood tests and my CK levels were through the roof. The doc said it was the whey so I cut it out and re tested 2 weeks later. My bloods were fine then. He said he can't see my reason why people take it

The initial test doesn't distinguish between cardiac muscle or skeletal muscle so it's highly possible the elevated CK levels were down to a high protein diet.

• Advertisement

The initial test doesn't distinguish between cardiac muscle or skeletal muscle so it's highly possible the elevated CK levels were down to a high protein diet.

The only thing I changed was the whey. After that I'm not sure

The only thing I changed was the whey. After that I'm not sure

High protein can elevate them without it being a health issue.

It's where it's due to cardiac muscle it's a problem.

my doc found traces or blood and protein in my urine before and ordered me to have all my bloods taken.

when the results came back and everything was fine, especially my cholesterol, he almost sounded annoyed, seriously.

he had told me my cholesterol was gonna be through the roof due to eating so many eggs, and using creatine.

High protein can elevate them without it being a health issue.

It's where it's due to cardiac muscle it's a problem.

So you reckon it'd be ok for me to go back on whey?

whats your protein intake like without the whey? about how many grams are you getting, and whats your bodyweight?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

remove the space

Water in any organ or tissue is 'drawn in at a cellular level'. Whatever the science is, that ain't it.

Water in any organ or tissue is 'drawn in at a cellular level'. Whatever the science is, that ain't it.

lol ok, read the link

the only point i was trying to make is that it doesn't cause water bloating like a lot of people claim, so sorry if i sounded stupid with my science claim :D

The whey might not be altogether necessary but if it was crucial, I'd be asking the GP for a further test to identify the source of the elevated CK levels. It is a marker for cardiac issues but it isn't always and may be innocuous.

But that's something no one car determine without tests.

But you can get enough protein without whey.

• Advertisement

whats your protein intake like without the whey? about how many grams are you getting, and whats your bodyweight?

No idea to be honest. I'm trying to take in as much as I can naturally. Doc also says only 1 egg a day but I live eggs and I'd eat 5-6 a day if I could.

Advertisement