Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VESA volunteering

Options
  • 03-10-2014 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard or had any experience with Volunteer Eco Students Abroad volunteer programme. It's essentially 7 days work and 7 days tourism. There website looks pretty sound but one thing I'm wary of is that they are not a registered charity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

thelad95 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard or had any experience with Volunteer Eco Students Abroad volunteer programme. It's essentially 7 days work and 7 days tourism. There website looks pretty sound but one thing I'm wary of is that they are not a registered charity.

If not a charity then most likely a tourism agency. They're selling you this opportunity. Could be wrong but no charity in a far away land is waiting for 7 days labour from someone. You'll be there as a tourist. Nothing wrong with that, just be sure you know what you're paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

dory wrote: »
    If not a charity then most likely a tourism agency. They're selling you this opportunity. Could be wrong but no charity in a far away land is waiting for 7 days labour from someone. You'll be there as a tourist. Nothing wrong with that, just be sure you know what you're paying for.

Thank you for your reply. What they're offering is essentially a glorified holiday. Is it right to fundraise for a trip like this when in reality, not much charity work is actually being done?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

People will differ on whether it's right or wrong. I think it's completely wrong as it takes away from people fundraising for actual charities, makes people think they're all the same glorified holidays. I would say if you want to do this great, save up and go.

Advertisement