Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian Log cake

Options
  • 03-10-2014 5:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

If anyone has a tried and true recipe, I'd really appreciate if you could share. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The Dubs will know it better as Gur Cake.

I don't know if it's a cake with a proper recipe, I usually get mine from whoever travelled to Cork recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It turns up at fancy farmers & food markets under the guise of 'Chester Cake'. Himself says its too dry and not as nice as the original we got in bakeries in Dublin when we were kids fifty years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You can't go wrong with Odlum's recipes...

http://odlums.ie/recipes/gur-cake/

I haven't tried that recipe, but at a glance, I'd say the pastry is far too thick, it was always much thinner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

That'd be something I'd call chester cake rather than Russian log. I'm utterly failing to find a picture on an image search.

It's a thin layer of sponge, a mushed up sherry/jam/leftovercake layer, a thin layer of sponge, pink icing with some chocolate stripes. Eating a second piece is a challenge only to be taken when you havent eaten for a few days/weeks.

• Advertisement

I've just done a search for Russian Log cake & it appears that it is nothing like Gur cake at all.

@OP - Apologies, the above recipe is not relevant.

I've just done a search for Russian Log cake & it appears that it is nothing like Gur cake at all.

@OP - Apologies, the above recipe is not relevant.
    I've bought russian log labelled as gur cake in dublin dunnes's, so there seems to be a lot of confusion

The gur cake that I know is just like the one in the Odlum's link. Pastry, fruit & breadcrumbs. No icing or the like & very dense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭phormium

Hope this upload works, recipe from my grandmother's good housekeeping cookery book section on 'Cakes from Other Lands' from approx 1953.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Dub_Steve

Tasty - must try it sometime

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

That's not the same as Russian Log. That's what we call in Cork Chester Cake, or Donkey's Wedding Cake , if it has icing on top.

Russian Log is much softer and moister, and has bright PINK icing on top. No pastry involved.

Tree wrote: »
    That'd be something I'd call chester cake rather than Russian log. I'm utterly failing to find a picture on an image search.

It's a thin layer of sponge, a mushed up sherry/jam/leftovercake layer, a thin layer of sponge, pink icing with some chocolate stripes. Eating a second piece is a challenge only to be taken when you havent eaten for a few days/weeks.

I'm salivating at the thought. My daughter calls it "Corky cake" because she always eats it when visiting the grandparents in Cork.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

The base is like it, but Russian Log (Cork style) has pink icing.

katydid wrote: »
    That's not the same as Russian Log...

Did you not read the above posts? Another poster had stated that Dub's referred to Russian Log Cake as Gur Cake. I posted the recipe & afterwards it was established that there had been some confusion, probably due to mislabeling by Dunnes. This matter has already been clarified.

Did you not read the above posts? Another poster had stated that Dub's referred to Russian Log Cake as Gur Cake. I posted the recipe & afterwards it was established that there had been some confusion, probably due to mislabeling by Dunnes. This matter has already been clarified.

No, I didn't. Clearly...

*shakes her fist at dunnes*
    The cake wasn't as good either, no sherry in it and nowhere near enough jam :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shannyban

I thought I had posted a couple of weeks ago with a photo, but I guess it didn't post (to combat spam, they say) Amazingly we have found a very similar cake here at Scialo's Bakery in Providence, Rhode Island. They call it Russian Tea Cake. It's got bits of colored cake mashed together in the center and a layer of jam. No sherry, I'm afraid... and no pink icing, but lovely all the same. Wish I could share the photo. If I try making my own one day soon, I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for all your input!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Raven_k42

The "Dubs refer to Russian Log Cake as Gur Cake" ????...bit of a generalisation as not true in my case.

Gur Cake...now sold as Chester Cake...similar to Fruit Slices...but as Jellybaby says...in the old days the pastry was thin and almost flaky...filling moist and dark.

Russian Log Cake ??...we used to get (40-ish years ago) Tipsy Cake in Dublin...think Kylemore used to do it. It had that pink-ish sponge colour...plus the white icing...plus the sherry flavour. Loved it...but not sure if it's still around.

Sorry for spinning this plate again...

K.

Advertisement