Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

after a first 10k

Options
  • 02-10-2014 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction please. I started running a few weeks ago using the Hal Higdon 10k novice plan and hoping to do a race in three weeks time. Am looking around to see what I can follow this up with. I have very few miles on my legs - started Hal Higdon from a few weeks in hoping I'd be fit enough to skip the first few weeks. Other than that have only done the odd short run on the treadmill this year. I'm guessing I need to consolidate the 10k distance next, and from what I've read that I'm too inexperienced to start speed work or an intermediate 10k plan? I know I'll only start fooling around if I don't have a plan to follow. Could anyone suggest anything I could do for the next few months please? Sorry for the newbie questions... Not sure where to find the best info about running. I could run 3-4 times a week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Yes, always best to have a goal. But first of all get your race entry in, get the first 10k race under your belt. That will give you a better perspective.

What do YOU want to do next? It's true to say that many new runners want to progress up the distances, but that may not be what you want.

Yes, you'd generally want to up the mileage in any case before starting interval training and all that malarkey, which may leave you injured. No harm though in slipping in some quicker 'tempo' efforts as you build your miles - get used to a quicker turnover.

Best of luck.

Advertisement