Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT on early 05 motor

Options
  • 02-10-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭

NCT due in mar 15 (which would take me to mar 2016). Booked in for next week and if it passes, I'll get a cert till October 2016! Result!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

How did you manage that????

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

New rules give you 2 full years from pass date if you test before the nct is out. As the car is an 05 (<10 yo) ir gets 2 years from this October.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

dodzy wrote: »
    NCT due in mar 15 (which would take me to mar 2016). Booked in for next week and if it passes, I'll get a cert till October 2016! Result!

Are you sure about this?

I am in the same position as you.

I registered a UK import 2005 car in Ireland in February and was in storage/repairs until now and is now ready for the NCT which I booked also next week.

I e-mailed the NCT and asked if I NCT my 05 car now in October when will the NCT cert expire if it passes.

The response from the NCT totally avoided my original question and blabbered on that I can NCT my car 90 days early so to get an NCT cert valid until Feb 2016, I should NCT my car asap after 3rd November 2014.

Does this mean that if I NCT my car in October 2014 it will only be valid until February 2015?? :confused:

I hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I've been wondering the same thing. The car I'm hoping to get has an NCT until the end of April 2015. It's a 04.
    If I was to buy it and have it NCT'd this month would the new test be valid until 10/15 or 10/16? seeing as it's a 10 year old car?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

New NCT Early Voluntary Testing System

Completing an NCT more than 3 months prior to its NCT test due date/certificate expiration now falls under the NCT early voluntary testing. When the vehicle passes under the early voluntary NCT inspection, the next NCT due date will be calculated on the NCT pass date and not the test by date.

Based on the above, it looks like this is a definite incentive for someone with a 9 year old car to get in for the test more than 3 months early to get a two year cert. You will need to get in before the car is 9 years and 9 months old in order to be categorised as a 'NCT early voluntary testing' and get a cert based on the pass date (when the car is <10 years old) rather than the due date (when the car will be 10 years old).

Unless you're about to sell the car and want a 12 month NCT, I can't see any other reason to rush out and avail of his new scheme, it does bring the expiry date back to the anniversary of the test rather than of the due date so you'll be discarding the unexpired part of your current NCT Cert. This means that if your car isn't 9.x years old or you're not thinking of selling it any time soon, I'd stay within the three month window in order to get a cert that's based on the due date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

coylemj wrote: »
    New NCT Early Voluntary Testing System

Completing an NCT more than 3 months prior to its NCT test due date/certificate expiration now falls under the NCT early voluntary testing. When the vehicle passes under the early voluntary NCT inspection, the next NCT due date will be calculated on the NCT pass date and not the test by date.

Based on the above, it looks like this is a definite incentive for someone with a 9 year old car to get in for the test more than 3 months early to get a two year cert. You will need to get in before the car is 9 years and 9 months old in order to be categorised as a 'NCT early voluntary testing' and get a cert based on the pass date (when the car is <10 years old) rather than the due date (when the car will be 10 years old).

Unless you're about to sell the car and want a 12 month NCT, I can't see any other reason to rush out and avail of his new scheme, it does bring the expiry date back to the anniversary of the test rather than of the due date so you'll be discarding the unexpired part of your current NCT Cert. This means that if your car isn't 9.x years old or you're not thinking of selling it any time soon, I'd stay within the three month window in order to get a cert that's based on the due date.

I don't think you've been reading the thread. Yes, the cert is based on the anniversary of the test but you get a 2 year certificate for 2005 car, so the next test is postponed for 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭dodzy

ardmacha wrote: »
    I don't think you've been reading the thread. Yes, the cert is based on the anniversary of the test but you get a 2 year certificate for 2005 car, so the next test is postponed for 9 months.
    ardmacha is correct of course. I knew the outcome before booking. Basically a jan 05 car would get max benefit testing before end of this year. I'm confident enough but opted to not take a chance giving me time to address any issues and still avail of the benefit. So, all early 05 owners, get your skates on;)

ardmacha wrote: »

No, you're the one who hasn't been reading the thread, specifically my post where I explicitly pointed out the benefit for someone whose car is coming up to 10 years old....
    it looks like this is a definite incentive for someone with a 9 year old car to get in for the test more than 3 months early to get a two year cert.

My other point is that for anyone else, they will lose the unexpired portion of their existing cert by putting in for the test more than three months early which will be of no great benefit unless you plan on selling the car soon and you want a shiny new cert to help with the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

ardmacha is correct of course. I knew the outcome before booking. Basically a jan 05 car would get max benefit testing before end of this year. I'm confident enough but opted to not take a chance giving me time to address any issues and still avail of the benefit. So, all early 05 owners, get your skates on;)

Only if it's tested 3 months before it's first registration...in other words not before the end of this year, simply 3 months before 1st registration (which could be today ! ! !)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

Just did this on Saturday. Test due in January booked it in early and now have fresh NCT valid until 26th September 2016 so an extra 8 months than if I waited until January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Hold on - unless im missing something - shouldn't a 2005 car due for test in Mar 15 - be entitled to get an NCT until March 2017 - if tested on time (if tested in April 15 - a month late - it will only get a test until March 16????).

@Gonzo - if your car is a 2005 car due for test in Jan 15 - shouldn't you have got a test until Jan 17 - not sure why youd only get a test until Sept 2016????

Where have I gone wrong (confused).

Old diesel wrote: »
    Hold on - unless im missing something - shouldn't a 2005 car due for test in Mar 15 - be entitled to get an NCT until March 2017 - if tested on time (if tested in April 15 - a month late - it will only get a test until March 16????).

@Gonzo - if your car is a 2005 car due for test in Jan 15 - shouldn't you have got a test until Jan 17 - not sure why youd only get a test until Sept 2016????

Where have I gone wrong (confused).

My understanding is that previously you could only test the car within 3 months of the test being due. If the car was going to be 10 years registered on the date of the test being due then it would only be valid for 1 year.
    The new voluntary test allows you to test before this 3 months but will issue a cert for 2 years from the date of the test only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

gonzo.phd wrote: »
    My understanding is that previously you could only test the car within 3 months of the test being due. If the car was going to be 10 years registered on the date of the test being due then it would only be valid for 1 year.
    The new voluntary test allows you to test before this 3 months but will issue a cert for 2 years from the date of the test only.

Thank you :)

Yiz are all getting knickers twisted over this.....

1. There was a recent change in NCT legislation.
    2. This is a REAL benefit for early reg'd 2005 cars.
    3. Read coylemj's posts. He knows this stuff inside-out.

gonzo.phd wrote: »

+1 Just to fill in the blanks for others who come this way....

After your first test, you can get any subsequent test done up to three months early i.e. within the three months before the current NCT cert expires. If you pass this test, you get a cert for one or two years beyond the date the test was due so if you had a five year old car and did the test two months early, you get a cert that expires in two years and two months time.

In other words, doing the test within three months of the date due gets you the same cert regardless of whether the current cert is due to expire in three months or today.

The new system says that you can do a test more than three months before the next test is due and this will fall under the category of the 'NCT early voluntary testing'. In that case, the cert you get will be for one or two years but the clock will start on the date of the test, not when the next test was due.

There are two scenarios where this would be a useful option....

1. If your car is almost ten years old then under the old system you could submit it for the test when it's just over 9 years and 9 months old but you would only get a cert for one year since the cert would be effective from the due date when the car reached it's tenth birthday.

Under the new system you can submit it for the test more than three months early in which case the cert will be issued as from the date of the test and this being when the car is less than 10 years old, it will be for two years.

So a canny owner with an early 2005 car should get it in for the test now before it's 9 years and 9 months old and get a two year NCT cert.

2. If you're selling a car and the NCT has more than three months to run but you'd like a new cert to impress prospective buyers, you can do the test now any time you like and you'll get a new cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

There are two scenarios where this would be a useful option....

1. If your car is almost ten years old then under the old system you could submit it for the test when it's just over 9 years and 9 months old but you would only get a cert for one year since the cert would be effective from the due date when the car reached it's tenth birthday.

Under the new system you can submit it for the test more than three months early in which case the cert will be issued as from the date of the test and this being when the car is less than 10 years old, it will be for two years.

So a canny owner with an early 2005 car should get it in for the test now before it's 9 years and 9 months old and get a two year NCT cert.

2. If you're selling a car and the NCT has more than three months to run but you'd like a new cert to impress prospective buyers, you can do the test now any time you like and you'll get a new cert.

I'd add scenario 3.
    3. If you are planning to drive your car abroad for longer, and your NCT falls due before you plan to come back, you now can do your early test just before you go, and have full 1 or 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

A question, which is academic now, as I got rid of the car, but I'd like my curiosity satisfied:- i bought a 03 car in 2007. It was due it's NCT in 09. From 09 to 2013, I drove it NCT-less. Mercifully, I was never stopped. But, if I had presented the vehicle at the NCT centre in, say, July 2012, and it passed, when would the NCT cert have been valid from? The date of the test, or the date that the test was due? In other words, would I have been penalised for allowing the vehicle to go 3 years without an NCT? As I say - academic now but I always wondered.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    A question, which is academic now, as I got rid of the car, but I'd like my curiosity satisfied:- i bought a 03 car in 2007. It was due it's NCT in 09. From 09 to 2013, I drove it NCT-less. Mercifully, I was never stopped. But, if I had presented the vehicle at the NCT centre in, say, July 2012, and it passed, when would the NCT cert have been valid from? The date of the test, or the date that the test was due? In other words, would I have been penalised for allowing the vehicle to go 3 years without an NCT? As I say - academic now but I always wondered.

Your NCT would be valid from date of your test, to next due date (which in your case would fall somewhere in 2013).

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    In other words, would I have been penalised for allowing the vehicle to go 3 years without an NCT?
    No, potentially you would not. The key would have been what month you presented the car for the test.

Done !
    325141.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

I got a january 05 car tested in september specifically to avail of the early voluntary test in order to get a 2 year cert.
    Got my cert until late september 2016 as opposed to first week of january 2016 if I went the normal route.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Done !
    325141.jpg

Hi,

Can I ask what NCT centre you went to as I got my 2nd of FEBRUARY registered 2005 Focus NCT tested today the 14th of OCTOBER and only got NCT cert to 2nd of FEBRUARY 2016??

I got my NCT test done in Greenhills, Dublin.

I asked the NCT man about the voluntary testing, it was over 90 days before it's 10th anniversary, how another guy got his for 2 years from thr day of the test and he just kept saying "oh look your car was registered in February and now you have a test valid until February 2016" "any problem you can ring the NCT call centre"

325189.jpg

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can I ask what NCT centre you went to as I got my 2nd of FEBRUARY registered 2005 Focus NCT tested today the 14th of OCTOBER and only got NCT cert to 2nd of FEBRUARY 2016??

I asked the NCT man about the voluntary testing, it was over 90 days before it's 10th anniversary, how another guy got his for 2 years from thr day of the test and he just kept saying "oh look your car was registered in February and now you have a test valid until February 2016" "any problem you can ring the NCT call centre"

I would call them, it's outside the 90 days so should have been 2 years from date of test. Was your nct expired prior to test?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Hi,

Individual centres would have no control over the duration of the certificate.

Something certainly seems wrong. You should have got a cert until 10th Oct 2016 or, if your cert was expired, until 14th Feb 2015 .
    I'd take his advice and contact Customer Service http://www.ncts.ie/contact.html

Advertisement